MCE remote Puts PC to Sleep. Won't wake it up
dysan911 Wrote:Well my Media PC is actually a Lenovo T410 laptop with an Core I5 processor. I checked the bios and there's really nothing that refers to waking on USB. Their weird thing is I have a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up via USB and if I touch a key on the keyboard it wakes right up I just dont understand why its not doing the same with the remote though.

Its killing me. lol

Can you please tell us what MCE remote are using? How did you set it up? Have you modified any keys, specially the power button? Does it use Microsoft's eHome Driver?

In my systems BIOS I have all kind of options that would wake my PC from standby and all of them are turned off including the USB option. I tested my remote using the correct registry IR code and it works, perhaps your registry settings might simply turn off your PC instead of sending it to sleep. There are another registry setting that you need to use to force your laptop to start.

Usually the Sleep command should do but in your case you might need to add another button for system Wake.

You can backup your current registry settings and use my registry config on my site to test. Change the [POWER] button as follows.

0c,00,00,00,03,82,00 this will send your pc to sleep and usually wake it up.

Test this by assigning it to another button.

Button,00,00,00,03,83,00 Force System Wake.

Comprehensive wiki here.

Regards,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:Can you please tell us what MCE remote are using? How did you set it up? Have you modified any keys, specially the power button? Does it use Microsoft's eHome Driver?

In my systems BIOS I have all kind of options that would wake my PC from standby and all of them are turned off including the USB option. I tested my remote using the correct registry IR code and it works, perhaps your registry settings might simply turn off your PC instead of sending it to sleep. There are another registry setting that you need to use to force your laptop to start.

Usually the Sleep command should do but in your case you might need to add another button for system Wake.

You can backup your current registry settings and use my registry config on my site to test. Change the [POWER] button as follows.

Comprehensive wiki here.

Regards,
EG.

EG,

Thanks for reaching out. Im using an MCE remote that came with an old HP Media Center PC I had years ago. I thought maybe there might be something proprietary on it but it does have the green start button on it too. Anyway I programmed my Harmony One as a standard Microsoft Media Center remote and both Remotes will successfully put the system to sleep but neither will do a thing on waking it up. The Harmony One has a soft key called "Power" and one called "Pwr Toggle". I thought maybe one of those would do it but nope.

My system bios is very basic. Thanks to Lenovo I guess they dummed it down and did't give their users much choice in tweaking anything. Probably cuts down on support calls to them.

Thanks for the reg setting. I will give that a go and let you know if I have any luck!.

Thanks again.
Ok cool let us know how it goes.

Regards,
EG.
Well I went to your site and successfully installed the new keyboard.xml file as well as the green button feature. After doing all that and hitting the Power button from XBMC the Shutdown Menu appears. If I close XBMC and hit the power button. Nothing happens.

Im not exactly sure where or how to go about changing the power button like you mentioned above. I went to the Reg and did really see where I was supposed to change that button address. Can you point me in the right direction on that one?

THanks!
dysan911 Wrote:Well I went to your site and successfully installed the new keyboard.xml file as well as the green button feature. After doing all that and hitting the Power button from XBMC the Shutdown Menu appears. If I close XBMC and hit the power button. Nothing happens.

Im not exactly sure where or how to go about changing the power button like you mentioned above. I went to the Reg and did really see where I was supposed to change that button address. Can you point me in the right direction on that one?

THanks!

On my site Remapping tutorial in subsection Part B explains everything you need to know about changing reg files.

In this case all you need to do is edit my reg file in notepad, look for the [POWER] button mark then all you have to do is change the code opposite to it "left side". Replace the code in my reg with one of the codes as above, Save and restart. As I said earlier you might need to use another button so you can try the Wake function if it still fail to wake from the sleep button as I said above.

Edit:
First byte 0c is the button so 0c is the Power button and so on, if you want to test the wake code just choose any button and replace the code starting from the second byte 00.

^^^^ replace with button number.

Cheers,
EG.
I know its unlikely, but have you tried this setting on the ir receiver?

Doh, I didn't even think of editing your Reg file. Done!. Rebooting now and the results are:

The Power button now puts the system to sleep but FAILS to wake it.

I used the other code you posted and programed the "RadiO" button and it FAILS also to wake the system.

I do have that check box set that indicates the Ehome IR Reciever is permitted to wake the system.

The whole time I'm pressing buttons on the remote while it's a sleep you can see the IR Reciever light glowing red on every keypress.

I don't know. Maybe I'll just disable sleep altogether and move on. Must be something that Lenovo failed to offer in their bios and thus without it. Its just not going to wake up.

THanks again for your help!

B.

elitegamer360 Wrote:On my site Remapping tutorial in subsection Part B explains everything you need to know about changing reg files.

In this case all you need to do is edit my reg file in notepad, look for the [POWER] button mark then all you have to do is change the code opposite to it "left side". Replace the code in my reg with one of the codes as above, Save and restart. As I said earlier you might need to use another button so you can try the Wake function if it still fail to wake from the sleep button as I said above.

Edit:
First byte 0c is the button so 0c is the Power button and so on, if you want to test the wake code just choose any button and replace the code starting from the second byte 00.

^^^^ replace with button number.

Cheers,
EG.
dysan911 Wrote:Doh, I didn't even think of editing your Reg file. Done!. Rebooting now and the results are:

The Power button now puts the system to sleep but FAILS to wake it.

I used the other code you posted and programed the "RadiO" button and it FAILS also to wake the system.

I do have that check box set that indicates the Ehome IR Reciever is permitted to wake the system.

The whole time I'm pressing buttons on the remote while it's a sleep you can see the IR Reciever light glowing red on every keypress.

I don't know. Maybe I'll just disable sleep altogether and move on. Must be something that Lenovo failed to offer in their bios and thus without it. Its just not going to wake up.

THanks again for your help!

B.

Disapointing really, sorry about that anyways it's leneovo fault then, but as I told you all the options in my bios regarding system wake up are all turned off but the remote still wakes up my system!

Try to contact them they might know something that we don't!

Cheers,
EG.
Hey EG, What command is being sent when I press the Green Start button on the MCE remote? I want to map that to a key on my Harmony One.

Thanks man!
dysan911 Wrote:Hey EG, What command is being sent when I press the Green Start button on the MCE remote? I want to map that to a key on my Harmony One.

Thanks man!

If you mean the Green Start Button key that's sent by my registry settings then it's

win-alt-enter

That's the default MCE combination key.

Cheers,
EG.
EG,

Okay, I upgraded to a better system and trying to get everything back the way it should be. THe only exception right now is the keymapping. I figured I better turn to the expert.

When I press Power the System goes sleep and when I press it again it wakes up. That part is fine. I want my Logitech Harmony One remote to bring up the Menu that key "S" brings up when I press MENU but when I press that it puts the system to sleep.

I looked at the Reg files you provided me and you have it mapped like this

0c,00,00,00,03,82,00,\ ; [Power] - was "03,82,00" then "04,04,3d" sends alt-F4 now sends "S"

How come when Im not able to get the S menu to open? Any ideas?

THanks!
dysan911 Wrote:EG,

Okay, I upgraded to a better system and trying to get everything back the way it should be. THe only exception right now is the keymapping. I figured I better turn to the expert.

When I press Power the System goes sleep and when I press it again it wakes up. That part is fine. I want my Logitech Harmony One remote to bring up the Menu that key "S" brings up when I press MENU but when I press that it puts the system to sleep.

I looked at the Reg files you provided me and you have it mapped like this

0c,00,00,00,03,82,00,\ ; [Power] - was "03,82,00" then "04,04,3d" sends alt-F4 now sends "S"

How come when Im not able to get the S menu to open? Any ideas?

THanks!

Hi again, :-)

OK, I do not know what the menu button on your harmony send! but cant you just set the Harmony from the Harmony own settings?

Anyways this is only associated to the power button on the MCE remote because the first Byte 0c is the remote [Power] button identifier.

So to make the power button send "S" instead of Sleep, then change as follows:

0c,00,00,00,03,82,00,\ ; [Power]

to this:

0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; [Power]

Cheers,
EG.
EG,

When I checked it was set to Trigger the MCE Power Toggle.

Not sure how to set the Power Toggle to trigger sleep and the Menu to trigger "S" keypress.

In order to get the Harmony to send my own setting. Its not really that easy. It can only transmit a setting from the device. I cant' get it to send the letter "S". Unless "S" is one of the keys already native to an MCE remote.

I'll give the changes you recommended a try.

elitegamer360 Wrote:Hi again, :-)

OK, I do not know what the menu button on your harmony send! but cant you just set the Harmony from the Harmony own settings?

Anyways this is only associated to the power button on the MCE remote because the first Byte 0c is the remote [Power] button identifier.

So to make the power button send "S" instead of Sleep, then change as follows:

0c,00,00,00,03,82,00,\ ; [Power]

to this:

0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; [Power]

Cheers,
EG.
dysan911 Wrote:EG,

When I checked it was set to Trigger the MCE Power Toggle.

Not sure how to set the Power Toggle to trigger sleep and the Menu to trigger "S" keypress.

In order to get the Harmony to send my own setting. Its not really that easy. It can only transmit a setting from the device. I cant' get it to send the letter "S". Unless "S" is one of the keys already native to an MCE remote.

I'll give the changes you recommended a try.

I see Nerd

Ok, do the changes and you'll be fine Wink

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:I see Nerd

Ok, do the changes and you'll be fine Wink

Cheers,
EG.

EG, THanks that worked great. However, I was thinking. Would there be a way to retain the Power button to send a Power ON and still assign the menu key to "S"?

My thought is. I would like to let the Media center just go to sleep on it's own but if someone wants to use it and it happens to be asleep, the Activities on the Logitech remote will attempt to wake it up with a Power On Signal which would be great. . I think right now someone would have to physically go over and press the power button on the PC.

THanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE remote Puts PC to Sleep. Won't wake it up0