[LINUX] 32-bit or 64-bit Linux OS for XBMC?
Question 
Going to be running ubuntu 10.10 on my box. Checked the wiki as to whether or not I should install the 32-bit or 64-bit version, but the supported OS' don't go past 8.x. I suspect 64-bit is fine, but in the end I don't personally really care which way I go. I just happen to have a 64-bit DVD laying around and I'm curious as to whether or not I should turn around and spend the time downloading and burning a 32-bit copy (im not going the LIVE route - i'd rather install the OS fresh and go from there).

Thanks
tmyoungjr Wrote:Going to be running ubuntu 10.10 on my box. Checked the wiki as to whether or not I should install the 32-bit or 64-bit version,

this depends on your processor? if it is 64bit then use 64bit if 32 use 32...
32 bit still seems to be slightly better supported, unless you have more than 4 gb of ram, I'd go for 32 bit.
gobbledigook Wrote:this depends on your processor? if it is 64bit then use 64bit if 32 use 32...

Yeah I have the option to go either way. I should've clarified a bit as I'm mainly wondering what would play nicer once it comes down to drivers and whatnot and I agree with :

bobo1on1 Wrote:32 bit still seems to be slightly better supported, unless you have more than 4 gb of ram, I'd go for 32 bit.

I suspect 32 is the way I'll go (not that i have any issue with wiping the OS and changing it up in the future)

Thanks gents
32 bit. Adobe's VDPAU accelerated Flash in development is 100% 32 bit so far.

I've been running 64 bit version for awhile, but as of right now it's useless for playback. I can't no matter what get xbmc to run properly without crashing using the git version (dharma 2).

Trying to run adjust refresh rate auto (60hz - 24hz) crashes everytime i try to play a movie or stop one.

I'm gonna try running xbmc on a usb stick 32 bit only.

xbmc-git 20110114-1 crashes all the time now, black screen with auto refresh rate
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90609

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10658#comment:19
poofyhairguy Wrote:32 bit. Adobe's VDPAU accelerated Flash in development is 100% 32 bit so far.

Wow! I figured that 64 bit would be the way to go... it is clearly the way of the future. With everyone having dual and quad-core CPUs now I figured 64-bit would be the leader.
About 99.99% works fine on 64 bit, it's the non-working 0.01% that will annoy the hell out of you.
Besides the VDPAU for Adobe, what other things can I expect not to work on 64-bit?!
I run 64 bit on both my desktop and media center PC and I haven't had any issues so far. Currently running xbmc compiled from git.
I think I may personally stick to 64 bit unless there is very strong reasoning against it. It is the way of the future (and should be the current focus). No point in having a multi-core CPU running a 32-bit OS!
I'd personally go 64-bit if this boxes only goal in life wasn't to be a HTPC (i may use it for a few other things, but nothing important / crazy where I'd want the 64-bit benefit).

In this case 32-bit it is for me.
I agree with tmyoungjr.

All my machines at home have 64-bit arch. But my HTPC/file server is running a 32-bit OS. Why?

Well, I am sure things are better now, but about 3 years ago I thought, "64-bit arch, I need a 64-bit OS to take advantage of it!" The problem, as stated before, many things are not supported for 64-bit OS (flash and tsmuxer are classic examples). Yes, I know you can use nspluginwrapper to get flash to run in your 64-bit browser, but it's buggy and can crash the browser. The HTPC must have a high WAF! Crahes, bugs, hiccups, things that need fixing, (things *I* think make this hobby so fun) are VERY LOW on the WAF!! Also, a HTPC has so many "moving parts" to make it work, you are better off using using a 32-bit OS.

Now, all my other machines that I do work on run a 64-bit OS. Esp for my quad core Phenom. That's machine I do all my encoding on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] 32-bit or 64-bit Linux OS for XBMC?0