Best keyboard for XBMC?
I don't think any keyboards meet all of the OP's requirements. The only backlit wireless keyboards I've seen for < $50 don't tend to have the whole "solid+working" thing going for them.

I like my IOGEAR GKM561R but mostly because I picked it up on sale for < $20. It's not backlit and the trackball has issues, but it's got a pretty standard layout and full size keys so it's easy to touch type on. I've thought about getting some glow in the dark stickers or something to make the media buttons distinguishable.
although not tested,
this Wii-Like control Point&Play Remote looks promising!
($48.99 USD) http://ow.ly/1rZJN2
I love my Logitech Dinovo mini. Before it, I used the xbox remote with event ghost and it worked out alright, but the Dinovo is way better. I think it is worth the money, especially if you use youtube, hulu or surf the web at all.
KeyMs92 Wrote:Thanks. Well, preferably I´d like to have the remote working out of the box. I´m tending towards the AURC-002. It´s a Microsoft MCE clone and can be found cheaply on ebay. I also like the fact that it´s quite compact and not as ´bar´ like as some of the others. I also really like the original xbox remote. It´s very compact as well, although it will need configuration to work with windows. These are the options I´m considering. What do you think?

I must have tested twenty remotes during my work on supporting remotes in XBMC, and of all of them the original MS remote is my favourite. It's well built and just feels nice to use. I haven't tested an AURC-002 as they aren't easy to get in the UK, however it's almost identical in looks to the MS remote and can be configured in the same way, so it looks like a good option. I can't comment on the build quality.

You say " I'd like to have the remote working out of the box". Virtually any MCE remote will mostly work out of the box, but there will always be a few niggles. That's because there's no such thing as a standard MCE remote (except for thwe MS remote I suppose). If you use the MCERemote plugin the official MS remote will work as close to perfectly as can be expected, subject to things like having no Context Menu or OSD buttons, but then MS didn't build those buttons into their remote. I'd be happy to make MCERemote configure C and M buttons if any agreement could be reached across the wide spectrum of XBMC users about which buttons to use. Then I could sit back and watch the pigs flying past :-)

JR
although not cheap, check out this Remote!!!!

Gyration Air Remote ($70)

demo video --> http://www.gyration.com/airRemote_demo.html

youtube video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g505R1ZBrUs
or even better, exact same model --> Gyration’s intelligent Air Mouse Remote

but branded as --> Dell Gyration Air Mouse Remote ($40 USD)

Link --> http://ow.ly/1rZL5L

Smile
Thanks for all your responses! Smile
(I'll roughly summarize the points your brought, so forgive me for forgetting anything!)
Quote:I second watzen on Logitech Dinovo Mini
Quote:I have posted a few times here about this mini keyboard SMK-LINK VP6360.

Quote:I have the Rii mini and I can't recommend it.
Quote:I don't think any keyboards meet all of the OP's requirements. The only backlit wireless keyboards I've seen for < $50 don't tend to have the whole "solid+working" thing going for them.
Quote:I love my Logitech Dinovo mini.
Reading through your comments, I can make up that for a decent working keyboard, you'll need to pay a decent price. The Dinovo Mini seems the definitive winner here. I like the SMK-LINK VP6360, but has quite the same pricetag as the Dinovo and doesn't seem to have a big advantage over it.

As for remotes:

Quote:although not tested,
this Wii-Like control Point&Play Remote looks promising!
Quote:I haven't tested an AURC-002 as they aren't easy to get in the UK, however it's almost identical in looks to the MS remote and can be configured in the same way, so it looks like a good option. I can't comment on the build quality.
Quote:although not cheap, check out this Remote!!!!
Gyration Air Remote ($70)
Quote:or even better, exact same model --> Gyration’s intelligent Air Mouse Remote
I'm still tending most towards the AURC-002. The ones eskro mentioned are interesting because of their 'motion sense' aspect but they're indeed not well tested and I'm not sure if I like the size + layout of them (in terms of many small buttons!).

In general, my plan now is to first buy the AURC-002, because I'll probably use it for xbmc anyway and than consider if I'll replace my current keyboard with the Dinovo. I'm at least convinced now, that if I'm buying a keyboard it won't be a cheap/cheapish one.

I'll still consider these options for a couple of days, so other suggesions are welcome Wink
This here Keysonic feels rather nice to hold. Only let down by range but it wouldn't be the only one here that suffers from that. A neat little trackball in the top right and mouse buttons in the top left mean that holding it like a controller gives you reasonable mouse control.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...=KB-028-KE
i cant stand controlling the PC cursor using a track-Pad or Mouse-Track...

only way for me is the motion sensing Wii-Like Point&Play controls....
I like the keyboard that came with my Acer Revo I've dropped it may time on the floor and it's still working perfectly, and it's very light.
i picked up one of these lenovo keyboards for about 45usd. im really diggin it. the only gripe i have is that there is no app key (the key that gives you right click options when you hit it) but that can be mapped.
today I found in Media Markt new small keyboard with integrated touchpad
http://www.media-tech.eu/page.php?do=det...523&kid=22

looks pretty nice, someone has it ?
doesn't seem like it has back-lighting...

but pretty isn't enough, many items like that has issues in general...
eskro Wrote:doesn't seem like it has back-lighting...

but pretty isn't enough, many items like that has issues in general...

true Sad
Lenovo Wireless Keyboard N5901 Wireless Keyboard

I have used this with my MythTV \ LINHES system and fits nicely into the Palm. Good for modest amounts of typing. I seem to remember that it will run XBMC on my AppleTV1. I am thinking about getting an Apple Wireless Keyboard for the ATV1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best keyboard for XBMC?0