XBMC under Windows 7 on an Asrock ion
Does anyone have any experience running XBMC 10.0 (Dharma) on an Asrock ion 330 using Win 7 as the OS. At this time I am running Dharma live (linux) on the machine with no issues, But I am interested in trying it under win 7.

I would like to be able to have several (2 or 3) apps open at the same time in Windows with two minimized and the third one being displayed in the foreground.

It is my intent to have one of the running apps monitoring a TCP port getting commands from an iPAD and controlling any other apps via windows messaging, or tcp to the local host (127.0.0.0) or send keys. I am an experienced windows programmer (VB) but am not that familiar with the XBMC nuances as a windows app.

When done, and if successful I would be more than willing to share my work.

I would appreciate any comments, warnings, "been there ..." etc.

TIA,

Barry
I use XBMC on a Revo 3610 and it works very well. The Asrock uses the same processor and chipset so it should work equally well. The Atom 330 seems to be generally regarded as puny, but it's still a good processor and has no problems running multiple apps as long as they aren't too CPU hungry. However I doubt you'll enjoy running Visual Studio 2010 on that machine, and I should know because I tried it :-) I assume you'll be doing the development work on your workstation.

XBMC is designed to be controlled remotely and has several interfaces available. The recommend one is JSONRPC. This isn't as scary as it looks at first glance. I knocked together some Python scripts to play with JSONRPC at the sockets level, and these would be a good guide as to how to do it in C++ if you wanted to use that approach.

I must admit, from an iPad I'd probably use VNC or an RDP client rather than trying to code up some cludge sending keystrokes.

JR
JHSrennie,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do run all my development on a very high end workstation I had HP custom build for me (I was the director of IT operations for Northrop Grumman at the time, so what I asked for was generally done) They said it was the fastest machine they ever built.

My asrock is partitioned for multiple boots and I was having problem in my theater showing trailers (my own code in my own librarian). I have XBMC live and ubunto in two of the partitions and was thinking of adding win 7 in the third just to play with XBMC under windows.

I did all of the JSON and HTTP code for a Philips Pronto and that is generally how I control XBMC in the theater. I amplaying with the iPAD with a system called iRule that allows for easy graphical construction and the sending of arbitrary TCP sequences. This allows the iPad to easily control XBMC.
I gave an AsRock Ion3D to a friend for his birthday. Windows 7 64 bit, XBMC, MCE remote (it's sold together with the machine). No problem whatsoever.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I'm a little out of date on this. Does this mean XBMC now has hardware acceleration for Windows, a la VDPAU for linux?

For context, I set my ASRock Ion 330 up in 2009 with linux and XBMC because of VDPAU, and at the time there was no such support for Windows so resulting reports were marginal 720p in XBMC under Windows but unacceptable 1080p from the overtaxed CPU.

Now I see there is Netflix for XBMC (in Canada) so I'm looking at Windows again. But has the hardware acceleration been addressed?

Update: After a few more searches, if I understand correct, XMBC 10.0 (Dharma) does now support hardware acceleration via DXVA 2 in Windows Vista and 7. Great. And if Netflix can work in that. Great too. I'll miss linux though, and Win 7 isn't cheap, but I don't see a line of sight to getting Netflix on it or for cheaper.
I run a asrock ion 330 with windows, works very well. The only problem is that the wifi seems to be pretty bad. The DXVA2 acceleration works very good without problems so far. I've been using it in my kitchen for a couple of months.
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
I have been using the ASrock ion 330HT-BD under W7 for awhile now. Partnered with the Harmony One remote is awesome. I've never had any problem with playback of local content. I have buffering problems when streaming from certain places but that's not the PC's fault. I've not really tried multitasking it though. It's really just a dedicated xbmc box.
Hi,

Can you guys watch DVD's with the XBMC's default DVD player ?
It does not work for me - it's too choppy. Actually any VOB file even played from HDD is not watchable.
Regards

Phyrros
I have installed win 7 64 bit Professional and loaded the win 7 Dharma 10.0 disk for XBMC on Windows. The Asrock ION is connected to an Anthem AVM-50v over HDMI. I think I have all the XBMC Audio settings correct. I get full audio when I use it with DHarma 10.1 over Linux.

The issue is no audio when a movie starts.I can clearly hear navigation sounds. I get the message that the audio system failed to initialize. It is running with the MS audio drivers.

When I look at windows sound system it only has 2 Channel audio!

Which are the proper drivers to install? I have copies of the following from Asrock:
AllIn1_Win7-64(15.45); HDMI(1.00.00.55); VIA(v7100d.zip

What are the proper Audio settings to use in XBMC Settings/Audio?

Do I need the d3dx9_42.dll file as some posts advise?

As a seperate question what will the Asrock instant boot executable do? Does it pay to install?
You don't need d3dx9_42.dll. Dharma uses d3dx9_43.dll and this is normally installed as part of Dharma setup (if your system doesn't alreayd have it).

Looking in my driver archive the folder for my audio drivers (on my R3610 with W7) is Audio_nVidia_v.1.00.00.55_WIN7x86x64 and I'm fairly certain this came from the Acer support page. I recall having to install the HDMI audio separately from the usual audio drivers but I can't remember the details.

JR
I tried it out last nite and after installing the 1.00.00.00.55 HDMI audio drivers, audio started working.

WOL is not working and it was working before so I know the bios settings are correct. A Quick glance at the NIC settings in Windows indicates that thay are correct for WOL, but I know there is one other setting I need to check but can't remember where it is. Damm being 71 is not fun sometimes.

Thanks for the reply
Make sure "allow this device to wake up computer" is checked.
Device Manager -> nic card -> properties -> power management

/Zack
It appears to be working perfectly. I have XBMC do a suspend using JSON from my remote, and the unit goes to S3. The system then properly responds to the next WOL. Comes up in about 4-5 seconds.which is much better than the windows 40-50 seconds
barrygordon Wrote:I have installed win 7 64 bit Professional and loaded the win 7 Dharma 10.0 disk for XBMC on Windows. The Asrock ION is connected to an Anthem AVM-50v over HDMI. I think I have all the XBMC Audio settings correct. I get full audio when I use it with DHarma 10.1 over Linux.

The issue is no audio when a movie starts.I can clearly hear navigation sounds. I get the message that the audio system failed to initialize. It is running with the MS audio drivers.

When I look at windows sound system it only has 2 Channel audio!

Which are the proper drivers to install? I have copies of the following from Asrock:
AllIn1_Win7-64(15.45); HDMI(1.00.00.55); VIA(v7100d.zip

What are the proper Audio settings to use in XBMC Settings/Audio?

Do I need the d3dx9_42.dll file as some posts advise?

As a seperate question what will the Asrock instant boot executable do? Does it pay to install?

Hello barrygordon,

http://www.d3dx9.net/download-missing-d3dx9_43-dll/
You can get the d3dx9_42.dll file from the above link.
this is the source which is best for solving this sort of dll related issues.
Click the Link on this page “Run a Free DLL Scan” and it will fix it for you.
Thanls for the answer. I have decided not to use XBMC and put my homegrown librarian onto the asrock. Files are played by a Dune player. I am a hobbyist; changing things and writing code is what keeps me happy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC under Windows 7 on an Asrock ion0