UnRaid or FreeNas and Advanced format drives (WDEARS)
Yeah those are them and it seems as if the newer versions of FreeNas have sorted out the issues so ill prob just stick with that.
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

I'm really looking forward for the unRAID 4.7 with advanced format drives. And to confirm what poofy said, some of the F4s suffer from a bug in the firmware which may cause silent corruption. Worst part is that you can't identify those drives by the revision number since the patch had the same id as the original FW.
poofyhairguy Wrote:Samsung F3= Good

Samsung F4= Spawn of Satan

Seriously, those F4s are the least recommended drives I have ever heard of.

Really?! I have not heard terrible things about them at all. The AAM issue is the only thing I heard... and there is a workaround for that.

What issues do they have?!

jvdb Wrote:I don't use Couch Potato or Sick Beard, but SAB is super easy to install on FreeNAS.

<snip>

Thanks for the help! Do you happen to know how to get this working on an embedded install? I found an awesome guide but ran into a snag because unionfs does not play nicely with ZFS. I am trying to find workarounds...

jvdb Wrote:My person experience is that they work just fine jumpered w/o 4k drive support in FreeNAS (just slower than EADS drives).

So you can snag the WD20EARS and throw jumpers on them and not have to worry about 4K formatting, or checking the 4K box in the GUI when formatting the drive or adding it to ZFS?

How is the performance? Like I said, I know that they work in FreeNAS but I am still wary and am trying to find the best solution! It is still between the WD20EARS and Samsung F4 2TB.
bmcclure937 Wrote:Really?! I have not heard terrible things about them at all. The AAM issue is the only thing I heard... and there is a workaround for that.

What issues do they have?!

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmo...GBadBlocks
Thanks! It looks like the WD20EARS Advanced Format drives are becoming the more attractive option for me! Especially since they are $70 a pop right now on Newegg ($10 promo and $20 rebate).

I am curious if anyone has recommendations on tweaks for using the WD20EADS. I have heard people are changing the idle timeout value so the heads do not park so quickly...
bmcclure937 Wrote:Thanks for the help! Do you happen to know how to get this working on an embedded install? I found an awesome guide but ran into a snag because unionfs does not play nicely with ZFS. I am trying to find workarounds...

No clue, never tried embedded. Sorry.

Quote:So you can snag the WD20EARS and throw jumpers on them and not have to worry about 4K formatting, or checking the 4K box in the GUI when formatting the drive or adding it to ZFS?

How is the performance? Like I said, I know that they work in FreeNAS but I am still wary and am trying to find the best solution! It is still between the WD20EARS and Samsung F4 2TB.

I've never tried the 4k formatting options. They weren't available when I built that system.

My friend that owns the system with EARS only has a Mac Pro and Macbook Pro, my experience is that they are a lot slower with samba copying than Windows. He gets around 20MB/sec write speed and 40MB/sec read speeds off his atom based freenas server, my same system with EADS and copying from Win7 is 30-40MB/sec write and 60-70MB/sec read. I don't know how much of the speed difference to attribute to crappy mac samba performance and how much to attribute to the EARS. Either way it's fast enough for his needs.
Is unraid still rather locked up? I.e. installed other software isn't easy?
Cause my NAS is also a rtorrent/rutorrent machine and I don't want to give that up to go to unraid.
Although I'm not using my unRAID for anything other than storage, there is now a package installer which automates the installation of various extras from within unMenu. Just a few clicks and you're done. Looking at the list I can see they have Transmission available among other things.

I know people have other things (not on the list) installed on it, but I can't comment on the complexity of their installation.
The only thing I have found to be HARD to install in Unraid is any live TV backends. Torrents, sick, sab, etc. all have custom packages on the Unraid forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UnRaid or FreeNas and Advanced format drives (WDEARS)0