Noob Event Ghost question.
I seem to be running around in circles on forums all over the place at the moment, someone please help me!

I have
... Onkyo TX-SR508 AV receiver (using the supplied Onkyo RC-764M remote)
... XBMC running on XP SP3
and I want to use the remote from the receiver to control XBMC.

Am I correct in thinking that if I buy a MCE remote w/receiver I can ditch the MCE remote. Then by using Event Ghost I can use the MCE receiver to intercept signals sent from my Onkyo remote and remap them to XBMC (or any other program)?

Many thanks in advance!
Yes, that is correct. I assume that the receiver remote is programmable, program one of the devices as something that uses most of the buttons on the receiver remote. Then you can catch the signal and map them to XBMC using eventghost.

I do exactly this with my DirecTV remote. I have my remote mapped to control XBMC, TMT3, and Kylo all through Eventghost. I hope to write a howto soon explaining how I did this.

I wish I could get more detailed, it can be an extensive process, however some pointers.
1. There are plugins for most of the major programs in Eventghost with commands ready for mapping
2. Set the MCE Remote to NOT be HID in Eventghost, there are posts here that explain how and why here.
3. Here is a new plugin that will help. It names the remote signals
4. If you have Windows 7 there are security issues with the remote contol. Start here if you have problems getting it to work
5. Read forums and wiki's and have patience, it can work
Also, don't use the "official" XBMC plugin, use XBMCRepeat by Jonib instead:

http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1562

It lets you map your remote keypresses directly to XBMC "remote" buttons.

-Wes
@Jay_M

I'd love to know how you setup your remote with eventghost to work with kylo. its my new project. how are you using text entry. have you come up with a way to navigate the onscreen kylo keyboard or are you using the "multitap" plugin for eventghost to perform SMS text style entry? Any tips or even a guide would be great. Its the last thing I need to setup to make my XBMC experience complete.

Thanks
RBX

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob Event Ghost question.0