Advice for HTPC
Hi guys,

Well after wetting my appetite for xbmc on the ATV2, I’m wanting to build a HTPC.

I want to have the quiet HTPC, want to add a TV receiver at a later stage for PVR, run graphically intensive skins well such as Aeon MQ2 and try to future proof it as much a possible (although no 3D televisions in site).

I’ve ummmed and arrgh over whether to just get a ASRock Vision 3D but at over $1000AU once you’ve put in a hard drive and RAM in a bare bones case. I think I can do slightly better building (plus I’m after a bit of a project).

After looking at various build guides here ( thanks eskro and poofyhairguy) and on other sites. I’ve come up with a list

Case: Antec Fusion Black
PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W Power Supply
Mobo: ASRock H67M Motherboard B3
GPU: Zotac GeForce GT 430 Zone
HDD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 1155pin
CPU Cooler: Scythe Shuriken Low Profile Cooler Rev B
RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
Already have a Blu-Ray drive

I’ve already got 8TBs running in a synology 411j NAS which house's my media (mainly full Blu Ray rips(I can’t be bothered compressing them) and photos, music...etc) so I’m just looking to use a wired network connection to stream it.

So what do people think? I've tried to track down parts suggested in guides but unfortunately haven't been able to find some here in Australia.

Cheers
You're running a very similar setup to mine. I have an i3-550 on an Asrock H55 board with G.Skill 4GB Ripjaws. It runs great, even with one of the heaviest skins MQ2. I have a nMedia PC case with 4 fans and it's pretty quiet sitting on my entertainment center. You should have no problems with that Antec case being quiet, especially with that cooler. Sounds like a good build.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice for HTPC0