• 5(current)
[WIP] XBMC Beginners Guide (PDF)
ah ha just found this post. I've only had a PC for the last two weeks (first home one ever) and have lost many hours of sleep reading the wiki, surfing the forums (trying to tell what is out of date and what is relevant). I've had XBMC Live up and running for a week but keep getting stuck.

Funnily enough I've been preparing my own guide (on bits of paper mind) with a view to one day post to help newbies like myself so I'm really looking forward to reading this guide to help me better understand. I'm hoping the advanced one will appear at some stage too as I'd love to really delve into XBMC but the forum posts and wiki are generally quite confusing once they move into advanced levels.

I think the XBMC is a great product (tried an install of Media Portal on my WIN7 and its woeful in comparison) but whilst the wiki is great to start you off, it combined with the forums does seem to rapidly jump to advanced and lose those of us who cant yet speak 'terminal' and who get lost in all the jargon so thank you very much.

PS thanks too to all those people who have been giving up their own time to make XBMC as good as it is today.

PPS Could I request a sticky thread that could be set up for newbies to ask seemingly silly questions that they cant find answers to? I for example cannot get XBMC in linux to connect to the internet and cannot find the answer. I'm a bit loathed to post a new thread for fear of being told to surf the forums and you'll find it. I have quite a few other questions and I'm sure I'm not alone?

EDIT - oh blast - the set up for TV shows is exactly how I have it yet they still continue to be updated to the Music Library. really confused now.
Do you have a manual for OSX?
Ok now that i've been able to temporarily connect to the internet and everything has scraped through the folders Tv shows are in Tv and Movies in Movies Big Grin

Just have to figure out how to permanently have internet without a reinstal now

currently signing on each day by entering

sudo dhclient eth0

Tried

sudo dhclient wlan0

too but it didn't liek that so had to get a cable out
Is it possible to share the source (.doc) of this Guide so this can become a community project?
If someone grabs the text out of the PDF for me, I'm quite happy to LaTeX it up and make it available for others to work on.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

No. Please do NOT...

I have my pride and honor too. What I have created so far is giving me great joy and pleasure, and I will finish the guide. There are however other things in my life besides XBMC that have been eating away all of my time right now.

I will finish the guide, and will do so in the same language, style and manner as I have written the parts that are finished so far.
After I have finished it the sources will be made available for the XBMC developers so that they can "latex" it to their likings. But I do not wish to see this manual to become a community project.

If there is a need for a community project then please go ahead and start creating it from scratch. I won't feel bad about it, but it also won't make me stop making my own manual... It's a project that I started a while ago, and that I would like to finish myself too...

If the need to have a manual finished within a couple of days is so great, then please go ahead and create one. The work I have created so far is dear to me, and I wish to keep it as I had intended.
@gollumscave: see PM.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Openingspost updated. Version 0.5 Released
Great work - Thank you!
Wow....

I didn't see the rapidshare counter until now :-)
I don't have a counter on the share from "VanOert" but the rapidshare download counter has passed 2500 downloads....
I didn't realize so many people were interested in the manual.... I promise to update more frequently and will update in parts...
The next update will have the installation part completely finished... After that, I will send the sources to the developers team so they can work on it, and add completely finished chapters instead of working on bits and pieces as I am right now...

Thanks for all your replies and feedback!
Gollumscave, as a guy who's done some pretty terrible technical writing in the past, I'd like to give you this.

Seriously, impressive stuff. While I might not have made some of the same organizational choices, I have to give you major props for thoroughness and dedication.
Just wanted to add my word of thanks again too. I'm going to reprint now. I've learnt lots from hour upon hopur of trawling the forum but have loads of gaps. This will help greatly.
Image Image Compliments! ImageImage

Excellent guide Lacked a guide done so well.
I hope we can keep improving.

Thank you for this very useful initiative.
just wan to say thanks for the guide!
Could someone tell me where the .pdf is please!
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] XBMC Beginners Guide (PDF)7