Linux peps, trying to get GPU accel with Live...
I am not new to XBMC but have always taken the "easy" way out. I have a 1st gen appleTV with CrystalHD and 2 Mini's running OSX XBMC without issue.

I wanted as light as possible version to run and I wont allow windows in the ouse, so I went with a Live install.

Now i built a Core2Duo 2.2 with 4GB ram, RadeonHD 4350 and I am noticing on most 1080p that CPU is maxing out and dropping frames, 720p mid 40-60%.

How can i tell if the GPU is being used, is this due to older CPU specs. I am also very junior with linux commands.

Much appreciate the efforts of the devs, keep it going!
Rule number 1 of Fight Club: don't use an ATI videocard when using XBMC.
I don't know how to make it more clear. Would a Sticky help? Would a big blinking banner ad when people first sign up?

Do
Not
Buy
ATI.

(I really hope someone from AMD comes across all this and realizes, hey, there is a market here and we're getting eaten by Nvidia, maybe we should start sucking less on Linux).
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Its a hard thing for AMD to catch up on. Nvidia's Linux drivers are BASICALLY the same thing as the Windows drivers (like 95% same thing) with different hooks for the OS. That is why Nvidia implements so much stuff themselves on Linux instead of keeping with standards- they make things (VDPAU, Twinview, etc.) that work with their unified driver as it is. This has taken year of work and planning to make the Nvidia driver this way.

AMD has been moving to that model, but they started in the wrong place. ATI before AMD would make big enough changes from one generation to the next that a lot of the drivers had to be redone, which is what lead to them being inferior. The sad fact is that ATI engineers might have spent just as much time with Linux that Nvidia engineers spend, but because the Nvidia driver structure is planned better we get more support from Nvidia.

Quote:ATI videocard when using XBMC.
on Linux that is? I guess a valid advice would be to try it in win7? Not that I have any idea how RadeonHD 4350 works on win...
Guys. Relax. I have ATi 3200 integrated graphics and hardware acceleration on XBMC Live. Unfortunately it was not enabled in Dharma, so I had to use Lars Op Den Kamp's PPA and then install the ATi VA-API libraries. I'm too busy right now to add some links but I found all the relevant information here on this forum. Good luck.
Thanks gents! Brulsmurf ill try that and if no-go ill grab a Nvidia.
atx840 Wrote:Thanks gents! Brulsmurf ill try that and if no-go ill grab a Nvidia.

Yeah I'm running an ATI 3450 low profile card and i'm running the ATI drivers no problem. GPU acceleration worked right off then bat. I agree with everyone in saying that Nvidia is by far the better choice with linux, but if you're stuck with ATI for a while it's definitely still usable.
The Rig:
AMD64 X2 4400+ @ 2.3GHz, ATI HD 3450, Corsair 4GB XMS2 DDR2 800
Shuttle SN68SG2 Case

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux peps, trying to get GPU accel with Live...0