SSD help needed - quick!
Which is better?

Newegg has a ShellShocker deal right now:
Kingston SSDNow V100 Series SV100S2N/64GZ 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal / External Solid State Drive (SSD) for $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820139421

or

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820227542

No reviews on the Kingston...

Edit: Looks like for $10 more the OCZ has better specs for read/write speeds. Not sure how accurate all of these speed ratings are in reality, though!
I like the OCZ way better.

I had some strange experiences with Kingston SSDs in Windows. I would choose OCZ over them anytime.
OCZ:

-Better firmware
-Better wear leveling
-Better speeds

OCZ win.

poofyhairguy Wrote:OCZ:

-Better firmware
-Better wear leveling
-Better speeds

OCZ win.

There seems to be no real standard in comparing SSD specs.

With nothing but damnable marketing names, how does one tell SSDs apart?

ie. what are the Onyx, Agility, and Vertex OCZ SSDs? One would assume that the vertex is at the "peak" of technology, as it were. But Agility sounds fast too.

I have a Vertex in my Thinkpad and it absolutely flies. Boots in 10 sec. flat.

Any pointers on how to know? What do you look for?
waldo22 Wrote:With nothing but damnable marketing names, how does one tell SSDs apart?

Research mostly.

Quote:ie. what are the Onyx, Agility, and Vertex OCZ SSDs? One would assume that the vertex is at the "peak" of technology, as it were. But Agility sounds fast too.

Onyx is cheap brand, I only recommend it for Linux installs and extreme budgets.

Agility is middle brand, but closer to Vertex than Onyx. Fine to buy.

Vertex is fast brand, and what I demand in my desktop.

As far as what to look for: speeds don't lie.

For the Canadians on the forum, Canada Computers has the OCZSSD2-1ONX32G for $45 after a $25 rebate.
poofyhairguy Wrote:As far as what to look for: speeds don't lie.

Thanks for that. It looks like a lot of them don't quote speeds...

I guess that means don't buy those!
poofyhairguy Wrote:Vertex is fast brand, and what I demand in my desktop.

As far as what to look for: speeds don't lie.

Apologies for jumping in the thread, but the question I have may be relevant to you too bswiz and waldo22.

Would anyone say buying the 30GB Vertex at "200MB/sec read and 160MB/sec write speeds" and saving £20+ is a more worthwhile for a NAS'd setup than a 40GB Vertex 2E at "Read: 280 MB/s / Write: 270 MB/s"? I can't see the extra 10GB is worth it, nor are the disk speeds going to have a massive effect in my XS35GT build...but I defer to superior knowledge in these matters.
I would get with the cheaper one.
Had 2 OZC Vertex failures here with colleagues that bought them on ebuyer offers - with SSD it is complete failure to, your not recovering anything.. still on my Corsair F40.. very very fast and fingers crossed is still going strong.
IAmNotAUser Wrote:Would anyone say buying the 30GB Vertex at "200MB/sec read and 160MB/sec write speeds" and saving £20+ is a more worthwhile for a NAS'd setup than a 40GB Vertex 2E at "Read: 280 MB/s / Write: 270 MB/s"? I can't see the extra 10GB is worth it, nor are the disk speeds going to have a massive effect in my XS35GT build...but I defer to superior knowledge in these matters.

For pure HTPC frontends the cheapest SSD is fine. I use a OCZ Onyx in mine.

Well, I missed out on the OCZ deal anyway. Not to mention Newegg raised prices on about half of the components on my wish list effective today. My fault for not pulling the trigger.

So now I'm back to waiting for the deals to come back!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD help needed - quick!0