Problems when playing 720/1080 movies mkv's in XBMC
I've got a problem when playing 720/1080p mkv's in xbmc, I've tested the movies in vlc, and it works flawless. So I don't think the problem is in the file. This har only appeared when watching mkv-movies, not tv-shows.

And I think it's mostly from the middle-part and to the end...

This is how it looks:

It appears for about 3-5 seconds and then it goes back to normal again.

My setup;
Shuttle SH55J2
Intel Core i3 Dual Core, 3.06Ghz
4 gb ddr3 ram
Win 7
XBMC Dharma 10.0 Aeon MQ 2

Anyone got a clue what it could be?
Do you have DXVA2 enabled in the video settings? Also you don't mention what your video card is.

It would also help if you could provide some more detailed information regarding the media you are playing e.g number of ref frames etc. Use something like media info http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

In the meantime, try disabling DXVA (assuming it is enabled) and see how you go.
thanks for the reply, yeah I have DXVA2 enabled. but not using any videocard. the i3 processor got Graphics H55 Chipset.

the mediainfo;
Code:
Unique ID                        : 189129271067622699181824194827825431393 (0x8E48F8FFA6AFC23BAB116C4220D3C361)
Complete name                    : D:\Filmer\A Single Man 2009 Limited 720p Bluray X264-DIMENSION\A.Single.Man.2009.Limited.720p.Bluray.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 4,37 GiB
Duration                         : 1 h 40 min
Overall bit rate                 : 6 230 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-05-27 12:56:03
Writing application              : mkvmerge v3.1.0 ('Happy up here') built on Jan 19 2010 12:09:24
Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           :  Ja
Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frame
Format settings, GOP             : M=1, N=21
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 4 723 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixlar
Height                           : 528 pixlar
Display aspect ratio             : 2,40:1
Frame rate                       : 23,976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.291
Stream size                      : 3,22 GiB (74%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 94 r1583 7608d73
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4723 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.10
Language                         :  Engelska

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 kanaler
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48,0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 1,06 GiB (24%)
Language                         :  Engelska

I will try with DXVA2 unenabled.

I watched an 720p mkv-movie today without any problems at all, so it doesn't seem like it happens all the time... also it doesn't appears in mkv-tv-episodes. could it be as easy as my processor works too hard and the graphic chipset get overheated or something? maybe a gfx-card would do it for me?
Trying without DXVA2 enabled is probably the right thing to try next. That should help narrow down if the issue is with the encoding of the file or it's related to DXVA2 on intel.

Does the file fault at the same point everytime?

The other thing that would help is a debug log for the devs.

Are your MKV files coming from the same source i.e. are you encoding these in the same way or are they from a different sources? e.g. downloaded

The file you have specified should be ok.

I think the TV / movie thing is probably a red herring and more related to the profile of your different mkv files. I guess it could be overheating but I would think that unlikely.

Might pay to check out the intel DXVA2 thread as this is a fairly recent development.
Hello!

With dxva2 off there's no problem with the file but when it's on the problem appears at the same time in the movie each time. The movies are downloaded.

Maybe there's just a problem with the intel-driver?
It has to be an issue with intel drivers or a conflict between xbmc and intel chipset. I have the same exact problem with mkvs when dxva2 is enabled. I have no problem playing in MPCH though? I did just update the drivers to the newest one on intel's site. Before I updated it seemed like dxva wasn't being used even when checked in the settings.
I have the Intel G45 chipset
Intel dg45fc mobo
Core 2 Duo
3Gb Ram
Win7 64
Here is a screenshot below of the similar issue.

I also notice that Every mkv that I play in xbmc has green blocks in the lower left when first starting when dxva2 is enabled.

You've probably seen this already but this is the DXVA2 thread I was referring to earlier

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...perimental

It may cover this issue...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems when playing 720/1080 movies mkv's in XBMC0