Copied my music from iPod, XBMC can't 'see' it
Just installed XBMC on Aspire Revo, latest Ubuntu.

My external hard drive broke, so I copied my music over to Ubuntu from my iPod using Rhythmbox.

All the folder structure is perfect for XBMC, and the files are seemingly tagged properly.

XBMC 'sees' the folder structure, but only 'sees' four or five albums which are seemingly not tagged properly.

I used MusicBrainz Picard and EasyTag to try to remedy the problem, but they similarly only 'see' those four or five albums.

All the mp3 and mp4 files are clearly visible in Ubuntu file explorer, and can all be played by Rhythmbox. Exaile, on the other hand, only 'sees' the same four or five albums.

If I change a file name, it then shows up.

I believe the problem is probably something to do with however Rhythmbox copies the iPod database and restructures it in Ubuntu. It must be changing the tags somehow, or the iPod has changed them.

Is there any relatively simple way I can get these files to show up without renaming every single one?

Worst came to worst I could use some sort of batch renamer if such a thing exists

thanks for the help.
Sounds strange that you would have to rename them. You could try if a simple "touch filename.mp3" in the console on a file is enough. If so, you could probably mass "touch" them with a one-liner in the console. touch more or less should only renew the timestamp on the files, and doesn't alter them beyond that.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
You might have to install additional codecs. Ubuntu doesn't come with "proprietary" codecs out of the box. Use synaptic to seach for "ffmpeg" and mark every library (non-dev) that comes up for installation. Try to prefer the "extra" packages as they are the "unrestricted" versions of the codec libraries.
Thanks for the help guys.

Almost certain it's not codecs, as I say files play fine in Rhythmbox and Media Player and I have restricted extras

Unfortunately touch did not work, thought that might be great solution.

Think it's because the filenames do not have extensions. Is there a quick and easy was to add these does anybody know?

ta

EDIT* I'm going to try this script, fingers crossed

http://askubuntu.com/questions/7321/rena...extensions

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copied my music from iPod, XBMC can't 'see' it0