Building an XBMC HTPC inside an XBox360 Case.
Any recommendations?

So far, we have the Xbox gutted and are trying to find a small enough Micro ATX or ITX Motherboard with built in HDMI port. We are hoping in installing at least a Dual-Core CPU.

Dimensions of the XBox inner case (if it remains in the unit) is -

270mm x 220mm MAX.
Would like to leave some room where possible for other bits, but if not practical... wont! Big Grin

We are looking to trying to do this as cheap as possible...

Anyone had any experiences trying this they would like to share? I've searched the interwebs and only a hand full exist ATM.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
Umm, you want Mini ITX not Micro ATX. Micro ATX is too big. And you can't fit a really nice CPU in there- the Xbox 360 cases has well documented heat issues (RROD). this would be the max:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Even then, geez a 360 case is such a bad essential design. I have my 360 fanmodded just to avoid the heat build up that those old damn 360 cases have. Its a fundamentally flawed design.

I am not saying don't move forward on the plan, I am saying be sure to add fans. At least two running full time 60mm fans in the back, and rebuild a fan shroud with cardboard.

I once looked into doing that.. back then I though about fitting a Mini-itx atom/ion board with a SSD and a pico-itx with a 60W Laptop like power brick..

2gb and a 30GB SSD is more than adecuate for XBMC live. If you plan on using windows 7, get a 60GB SSD instead.
Definitely going for it. Fun project.
Them Pico boards are certainly the way to go, now comes the searching for a HDMI enabled one for a good price, with that, I could probably keep the XBox part intact! Smile

Thanks for the heads up. Any further idea's would be awesome.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building an XBMC HTPC inside an XBox360 Case.0