[AppleTV2] Can I connect a USB memory stick or USB harddrive directly to Apple TV 2?
Question 
I can't find any information on how to connect a USB stick to the ATV2, which is odd considering it's (I think) a micro-USB port for peripheral devices. Since standard cables don't allow for peripheral to peripheral connectivity, the required cable would be non-standard and not something most people have lying around.

I assume that a suitable A-B converter should do the trick? Something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Micro-Cha...93&sr=1-17

I find it strange though that I seem to be the only person having this problem. Am I missing something obvious??

Thanks in advance Smile
You don't.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:You don't.

OK, so I connect it directly to the PC and upload the software that way?
On the iPad, it is possible to connect a usb flash/hard drive using the "Apple Camera Connection Kit", and browse it using iFile.

Other devices also work like usb keyboards, speakers and mics.

So I bet someone, at least the iFile developer, knows how to do it and maybe can do the same for the ATV.
You don't put files on an ATV (You can put a few limited files) but it only has 8GB. It is purely a streaming media device.

Except the ATV2 doesn't have all the pin connectors that an iPad does. The Apple iDevice connector is a thing of magic, USB, Power, Firewire, TTL Serial, etc.

The ATV2 connector is just USB micro.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
If you want to think magic go see Harry Potter.

ATV connects to iTunes via usb, so it can do the same thing the iPad connector does... it has to use the usb protocol to talk to cameras and other devices, the other pins are probably not even used in this case.

Even if any other pis are used in a handshake to enable "usb mode" in the ipad, it's probably just a question of enabling the feature in software anyway.

Unless the usb port is not host but that would be strange since ipad and iphone 4 have it...
darkscout Wrote:You don't put files on an ATV (You can put a few limited files) but it only has 8GB. It is purely a streaming media device.

I think that best sums it up. For 100$ I think what they've already been able to stretch out of it is amazing. I personally think it has the best netflix interface (I have 3 other devices that stream it and ATV is best), the usability is great (especially if you have an iOS device to help control it instead of the IR). I think we just need to accept that it's a streaming media device with a great GUI. I would rather see efforts made on adding codec's and just optimizing code rather than stretching the device to use flash drives and stuff like that. Purely my .02 but I have a WDTV that's also around 100$ and it's great at playing videos and using USB. But the GUI is nowhere near as nice. I won't be getting rid of either of them, and I really think at the 100$ entry point it's great to see what they've been able to do with this ATV
Right. I had thought there was something missing from the ATV2 instructions page - I just saw a giant screenshot and some scripting, I didn't notice that most of the "how to" is that it has to be jailbroken.

Still, I can't see any info about jailbreaking for a PC. Meh, I don't think I can be bothered with this.
Feanor_ Wrote:That's all very interesting, but how then do I get a patchstick onto the ATV2?

The FAQs say it's possible, and yet you're saying I can't connect a USB stick to it. :confused2:

If I need to connect the ATV2 directly to the PC (I don't have a Mac) then surely another set of instructions are needed?

Please quote/link to FAQ that says it is possible. That FAQ is either incorrect or you are interpreting it incorrectly.
Olethros Wrote:Please quote/link to FAQ that says it is possible. That FAQ is either incorrect or you are interpreting it incorrectly.

Hi, I must have edited my post as you were replying... I've realised I'm interpreting it incorrectly, the FAQ merely says that it's possible to run XBMC on the ATV2, not that it's possible to run patchstick. I hadn't looked closely enough at the ATV2 wiki page because it didn't look like a "How To" as much as a giant screenshot with some scripting, my bad.

Are there any instructions for jailbreaking the ATV2 with a PC? I don't have a Mac.
Nope. Currently cannot be jail broken from a pc. They are working on it but as of now you NEED a mac
kingoftowns Wrote:Nope. Currently cannot be jail broken from a pc. They are working on it but as of now you NEED a mac

Ah OK, thanks!

If that isn't published anywhere (and it might be - we've already seen that I do sometimes miss things!!!) it would be useful to make that explicit on the ATV2 XBMC Wiki Smile.
kingoftowns Wrote:Nope. Currently cannot be jail broken from a pc. They are working on it but as of now you NEED a mac
Wrong.
Get greenp0ison. JB untethered.

http://www.appletvhacks.net/

S@
Has anyone tried connecting a usb flash disk or a powerd usb hard disk to the atv2 by the ethernet port using this plug:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RJ45-Ethernet-10...14-1611536

EDIT:
Cheaper one here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FEMALE-ETHERNET-...f_cr_shvl1
No. The atv2 is not a usb host. Just because you can plug something in does not mean it will work. If I put a light bulb socket on my garden hose it still doesn't work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Can I connect a USB memory stick or USB harddrive directly to Apple TV 2?1