[Win7 x64] ASUS Mobo + Win7 x64 +AMD X4 = No HD Audio + Video stutters
Hi All,
Sorry for the long post but I truly am at my wits ends with this. I hope there is someone there to help me.....

So here's the low-down of my problems with additional details below :
1. When watching mkv's, HDTV stutters every few seconds for a few seconds
2. No HD Audio (5.1) through TOSLINK/SPDIF or HDMI

My set-up : Recently built HTPC with following specs
Mobo : ASUS M4A88T-M
GPU : ATI Radeon HD4250 built into mobo
CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 3.0 GHz
RAM : 1 x 4GB Patriot DDR3 1333 MHz
HDD : Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm
Drivers : Up to date
Receiver : Yamaha RX-V567
Speakers : Bose 5.1
TV : Vizio 47" 1080p (V47GVL or something like that, purchased in Dec 2007)
Connections : HTPC --> HDMI for Video & Optical TOSLINK for Sound --> Receiver -->Wired --> HT Speakers; Receiver -->HDMI -->TV

Details :
1. Now I dont understand resolution a whole lot but my TV is supposed to be 1080p. However, the HTPC suggests the output as 1268 x 720 making it a 720p image. This looks ok but I can tell the difference between this setting and 1920 x 1080p based on the Porsche themed wallpapers. If I bump my resolution up and then run an mkv, the video stutters every minute or so and then becomes smooth for a minute. This happens no matter if there is a lot of movement on the screen. Is this because the GPU is not powerful enough? Any suggestions to improve this? I've tried to disable everything else thats running in the background.

2. I cannot get WMP or VLC to output 5.1 sound. I d/l'ed a 5.1 test file in AC3 and WMP format. When playing the files, AC3 through VLC and WMP through WMP, the front 3 speakers work fine but the rear speakers dont work at all. The sound for those also comes out the front. I know my connections are right as, when I play a blu-ray, the receiver detects a 1080p signal with 3/2/0.1 sound. I've tried all the drivers and settings. I read somewhere they AC3 filter would help. Any opinions on this? Anything else I can try? Spdifer?

Am I missing codecs for Video/Audio?

Folks, Im really disappointed (and slowly getting frustrated) that I cannot get this to work. Any advice would be helpful.
That GPU doesn't support bitstreaming HD Audio OR full 1080p. Get a GT430 and DS Player and you are set.

Question 
Hey Poofy,

Thanks for your reply...

A couple questions...
1. For the Video card, how about the Galaxy GeForce 210 1024MB. Its on sale at Microcenter for $28AR. Would that do? How about the price?
2. With DS Player, do I still need AC3filter? Im not sure what they all do. A friend recommended using VLC to play back mkv. Would I not need VLC+AC3Filter if I get DS Player? Also, would the sound come out of the HDMI or Optical TOSLINK?

Thanks in advance!
B
biotechie Wrote:1. For the Video card, how about the Galaxy GeForce 210 1024MB

If Poofy says get a GT403, then get it,,, there's a reason!
its one of the best if not THE best HTPC video card one can get...
supports all true HD video and audio formats...
oh and i forgot, supports true 3D too!!

biotechie Wrote:Would I not need VLC+AC3Filter if I get DS Player?

XBMC can't bitstream true HD audio by using its default built-in player...
thats why theres a new XBMC branch in testing,
that comes with DSplayer so you can use FFDSHOW filters to bitstream
true HD audio...

Quote:would the sound come out of the HDMI or Optical TOSLINK?

well both works...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win7 x64] ASUS Mobo + Win7 x64 +AMD X4 = No HD Audio + Video stutters0