• 2(current)
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows
gaijin Wrote:I'm getting the same error 21 in vmware. I tried copying the ipsw into windows and restoring from there, but it's giving me error 1600. ...wish I knew someone with a Mac nearby.

Try uninstalling itunes and reinstalling it.. i have seen that suggestion for a 1600...
Really wish i knew why the 21 in vmware.. according to http://www.youhoo.info/tag/jailbreak-iphone-mac-vmware it should be possible... i think my problem is Seas0npass's patch.. going to try pwnage's when i am done in my lab

Should mention on my laptop which i installed Mac OS x straight from a 10.6 disk.. it is version 10.6.6...
On my server i downloaded a Saved AMD Patched OS 10.6 i believe... i havent tried it on my server yet, just my laptop
Im also getting error 21 in vmware !! WTF man..

If we have a custom firmware already, what steps have to be done in windows?
-load itunes and do a restore using the custom FW?
-then tetherboot the device using the link mentioned above?

how about using the redsn0w tether hack?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMU9hGtqU08
Swwethip1 Wrote:Im also getting error 21 in vmware !! WTF man..

If we have a custom firmware already, what steps have to be done in windows?
-load itunes and do a restore using the custom FW?
-then tetherboot the device using the link mentioned above?

how about using the redsn0w tether hack?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMU9hGtqU08

Have to upload the kernelcache file into the phone BEFORE itunes restore from what i can tell..

redsn0w will not recognize the ipsw file... i tried that this morning
gotcha..

iLLNESS any help on this please.. i made my custom firmware, but now not sure what needs to be done. i followed what you said but still having issues
Has anyone managed this with windows yet?
Swwethip1 Wrote:gotcha..

iLLNESS any help on this please.. i made my custom firmware, but now not sure what needs to be done. i followed what you said but still having issues

Try to run PWNAGE or whatever in the vmware, then before the restore step in itunes, suspend the virtual machine and see if it will transfer the USB connection back to windows.. if it does WITHOUT rebooting the apple tv, then you might be able to restore the ipsw file in windows... That is the only thing i can think of now.. once you restore with itunes, then it is all gravy and never have to deal with this again except the tether portion...

The problem is pwnage tools isnt avalible for windows Sad
kevron Wrote:Has anyone managed this with windows yet?

No.. i think the main problem is No one WANTED to do this with windows on the appletv until yesterday when XBMC was released... I think there is a renewed interest and a windows solution will come out sometime soon
ok i will try that.. how about this Seas0npass hack. you try this yet in VM ?
Those of you running Seas0nPass on your Mac or virtually via VMWare with OSX installed, did you make sure that iTunes is installed? Seas0nPass after downloading and modifying the firmware will auto launch iTunes and begin the restore process of the newly created custom firmware for you.

So if you don't have iTunes installed, that part will naturally error out.
dazex Wrote:Those of you running Seas0nPass on your Mac or virtually via VMWare with OSX installed, did you make sure that iTunes is installed? Seas0nPass after downloading and modifying the firmware will auto launch iTunes and begin the restore process of the newly created custom firmware for you.

So if you don't have iTunes installed, that part will naturally error out.

You wont get an ITUNES error 21 or 1600 WITHOUT ITUNES installed...

Swwethip1 Wrote:ok i will try that.. how about this Seas0npass hack. you try this yet in VM ?

I swear, i think the problem is the VM virtualized USB Drivers that it uses to connect the USB device to ITUNES.. the error 21 is common for people that go thru a hub or another indirect connection to USB... It would make sense that it is a problem with virtualized EXCEPT it seems others have done it in VMWARE with iphones.. this is the part that is confusing me...

Seas0npass hack didn't work for me.. everything fails AT itunes... everything else seems to be succesful.. it is just restoring with the ipsw file that is failing (isnt 1600 invalid signature btw?)
There isn't a lot of information out there for 1600 error. Shouldn't you be able to build the ipsw in the Mac and then just use windows to restore it? I read if you get the 1600, it might have taken the flash. Try using one of the tethered boot programs to see if it works.
mojo6911 Wrote:There isn't a lot of information out there for 1600 error. Shouldn't you be able to build the ipsw in the Mac and then just use windows to restore it? I read if you get the 1600, it might have taken the flash. Try using one of the tethered boot programs to see if it works.
No because you need to upload the jailbreak kernel before you restore in itunes. If you just try to flash the ipsw, it won't attempt the jail break kernel
Okay, tired of lurking.

I'm sure you guys have all googled the crap out of this already, but did you see this page?

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?...s#Error_21

It's got 1600 and 21 on it, but it's for iphones. Maybe it will help?

I'm going to try a virtual image too and try to get on this bandwagon. What's the name of the OSX image you guys are using? Are there any guides you can point me to that will get me up to speed quickly? I haven't tried installing it since 06ish.

And also for the question on legality of the custom IPSW, what's the difference between modifying and distributing an IPSW and writing a program that modifies IPSW and distributing that instead?
merlinn31 Wrote:Okay, tired of lurking.

I'm sure you guys have all googled the crap out of this already, but did you see this page?

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?...s#Error_21

It's got 1600 and 21 on it, but it's for iphones. Maybe it will help?

I'm going to try a virtual image too and try to get on this bandwagon. What's the name of the OSX image you guys are using? Are there any guides you can point me to that will get me up to speed quickly? I haven't tried installing it since 06ish.

And also for the question on legality of the custom IPSW, what's the difference between modifying and distributing an IPSW and writing a program that modifies IPSW and distributing that instead?

Depends.. Do you have an INTEL system with native virtualization, and AMD system with native virtualization or intel without virtualization or amd without native virtualization?
Intel with Native (core and i series)
Using the snow_leopard iso to get it to boot and just using a stock 10.6 cd and installing from that

AMD with native virtualization
I found a torrent that had a saved vm (8+ gb) and am using that because patching OS X for amd is not fun and this already had it all done

the rest... look up osx86
iLLNESS Wrote:as of now, the tools to build a jailbroken ipsw are mac only but you can (just tested) boot the device once jailbroken with a windows machine and the tethered boot win32 utility. you can find this utility here.

Follow this jailbreak guide to create the files you want (specifically step 5). from there you can use the same procedure from step 8 (replacing ./tetheredboot with tetheredboot.exe).

so again to clarify, you only need a mac to initially create (not sure about flashing) the custom restore .ipsw. from there it should work all in windows Smile

I was able to get the firmware on my atv, but when i run the windows tethered tool to boot my device I always fail at the "Waiting two seconds for the device to pop-up" section. Any advice from someone that has it working? Thanks in advance.
vike105 Wrote:I was able to get the firmware on my atv, but when i run the windows tethered tool to boot my device I always fail at the "Waiting two seconds for the device to pop-up" section. Any advice from someone that has it working? Thanks in advance.

I doubt it actually flashed correctly... From what i can tell in the mac tools, there is a kernelcache file that is uploaded to the apple tv BEFORE you restore with itunes.. Basically that is the jailbreak and the restore ipsw is just an exploit to trick the appletv into running the kernelcache...
We have done similar stuff by injecting scripts into android before certain parts of the bootloader complete and the kernel loads inorder to exploit a root exploit.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows0