[AppleTV2] My tips and experience so far with Apple TV 2
Got xbmc on my atv2 earlier. Fairly easy process including seasonpass. Here are my notes. No idea if any of this is covered in faq's, docs or whatever. Who reads those!?

1) Can't exit from window mode. Found the post describing deleting the userprefs file

2) On my 1080p HDMI tv, had to adjust video overscan to get the image to fit in the screen properly

3) My Harmony 676 is programmed to act as a remote for an Apple TV 1 (not a v2). As I guessed when I chose this it does provide extra remote control functions that aren't on the standard aluminum remote that comes with the ATV2, and that's outside of XBMC. In XBMC my next/previous chapter buttons on the Harmony bring up a VIDEO OSD that can then be navigated with with the direction pad. Using this you can set bookmarks, audio (analog/hdmi/Optical) output, select ac3 stereo stream etc. No idea if any of that audio switching works, I just output to stereo anyway. You can also change video aspects: ratio, zoom, post processing, etc.

4) Have tried multiple divx/mkv files over a wired ethernet connection with very few issues. In fact, the only files with issues so far are some old Tom & Jerry episodes encoded as xvid 720x526, 29fps ntsc, audio mpeg1 44khz & 128kbps. The video is fine, the audio just drops every couple of seconds. Happens on every episode, out of 100+

5) pressing and holding the menu button brings up contextual options.

6) Occasional random crashes. Seems to happen while launching media, but once a file gets going it tends to be stable

7) How to change the timezone? Seems to be PST
I have to admit, mine was not easy at all. Between running around the house to the Mac, then the TV. Finally think I figured it out, but it wont connect to any wifi's, or recognize the ethernet cable plugged in. To be honest at this point im starting to think this whole thing is a big April fools joke on me lol
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
fihzy Wrote:Got xbmc on my atv2 earlier. Fairly easy process including seasonpass. Here are my notes. No idea if any of this is covered in faq's, docs or whatever. Who reads those!?

1) Can't exit from window mode. Found the post describing deleting the userprefs file

7) How to change the timezone? Seems to be PST

I also have the 7 problem. Which post solves 1? Basically, how to I get it to be fullscreen in preferences. Perhaps that explains the sluggish GUI. Is there a userprefs file that is in the userdata folder? Don't want to delete the wrong one.

Playing 720p files from a NAS works great for me.

philip
pmcd Wrote:I also have the 7 problem. Which post solves 1? Basically, how to I get it to be fullscreen in preferences. Perhaps that explains the sluggish GUI. Is there a userprefs file that is in the userdata folder? Don't want to delete the wrong one.

Playing 720p files from a NAS works great for me.

philip

rm this file

Apple-TV:/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/guisettings.xml
Did you guys solve problem #7?

Also, what deleting the guisettings.xml for?? Window mode? Isn't it by default full screen?

Thanks,
read the FAQ dude:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93033
fihzy Wrote:Here are my notes. No idea if any of this is covered in faq's, docs or whatever. Who reads those!?

I did, but only because I wanted to save some time.

OTOH, I tend to skip those when I'm bored enough. However, until now, it never occured me that I could actualy blog about it.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] My tips and experience so far with Apple TV 20