[AppleTV2] No Sound with 2.0 Speakers?
Hi there,

I'm impressed, xmbc plays most of my movies. Unfortunately most of them are mkv's that seem to have a 5.1 encoding, so I usually only hear the music or background sound in my 2.0 monitor speaker set. How can I get sound please?

Thanks!
My first guess would be that you need to change your audio-settings from within XBMC to 2.0.
Under "System" it's set to "2.0". I haven't found another place where I could change any such thing.
Happens on all movies I play. Sometimes sound comes out of the lefgt or right channel...
So is there no solution to this??
What is this thing for if it won't playback sound properly on a stereo system?
antiplastik Wrote:So is there no solution to this??
What is this thing for if it won't playback sound properly on a stereo system?

patches welcome Smile
davilla Wrote:patches welcome Smile

Fantastic reply to an ungrateful person, Davilla. In fact, if you've got an idea about where I could start looking to fix this, I'll submit a patch.
Sorry if I sounded ungrateful. I am grateful for this great program, I use it frequently. That's the reason why it is very annoying to have no sound at times and then I ask myself how it's possible this program works so well but then the sound is missing. It's a paradox. I was even more amazed to see that nobody seemed to care. Or maybe I'm the only one with this problem but then I'd hoped to get a solution here.
antiplastik Wrote:Sorry if I sounded ungrateful. I am grateful for this great program, I use it frequently. That's the reason why it is very annoying to have no sound at times and then I ask myself how it's possible this program works so well but then the sound is missing. It's a paradox. I was even more amazed to see that nobody seemed to care. Or maybe I'm the only one with this problem but then I'd hoped to get a solution here.

It's not that no one cares, it's a difficult thing to fix and once we note an issue, there's no need to discuss it anymore.

The problem is, users bounce into the forum, make a post and never both to take the time to check the faq and issues. Or they think by repeat posting, the issue will get resolved. In the mean time, we devs, then ignore repeated posting about something we already know about.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying.
It seems the issue has been fixed. Thanks so much. I'm enjoying Tron in HD and stereo sound.

I upgraded to the latest unofficial build.

For everyone who doesn't know how to do that here's what I did:

Open Terminal and then type the following followed by enter in each line:

1. Find the IP of the device (found in apple tv general --> network. Mine is 192.168.1.103)
2. ssh [email protected]
3. (entered password, it should be "alpine" if you haven't changed it)
4. cd /private/var/tmp
5. wget http://hadm.net/~keith/xbmc_atv2/org.xbm...v2-arm.deb
6. dpkg -i org.xbmc-030511_atv2-arm.deb
7. rm -rf org.xbmc-030511_atv2-arm.deb

I made sure I got out of xbmc before I did that. During update xbmc disappeared from the AppleTv homescreen and then appeared again. It simply works now.

Here's the sticky for the build with more instructions: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...eith+build

Cheers

Edit:
I had to make sure I had 'Extract Thumbnails' and 'Sync playback to display' both turned off. Otherwise xmbc would crash during playback of mkv.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] No Sound with 2.0 Speakers?0