[AppleTV2] poor/blurry .avi playback
Hello,

first off, I'm aware that XBMC for the Apple TV 2 is a very fresh port, and it's impressive how great it works already.

One thing I noticed when comparing the playback of .avi files on with my Playstation 3 with the the XBMC playback on the Apple TV 2 is that the image quality seems considerably worse. The same .avi files (xvid encoding) look much more blurry on the Apple TV than on the PS3, even though they don't exceed the maximum resolutions of either the Apple TV nor the PS3.

Could it be that the PS3 upscaler / image processor is that much better than the one used by the XBMC / Apple TV 2 combo? Or could it be my XBMC settings? I'm not aware of altering anything in the video settings (so it's all set to defaults) that could cause this issue.

Any hints?
Just bumping this as I may be having the same issue.. biggest problem is how subjective it is! It definitely jumped out at me though, comparing the same file through ps3 to the atv2 makes the atv2 look less sharp. No such issues with h264's wrapped in mkv.

ps I've spent literally minutes with xbmc for the apple tv (damn work gets in the way) but I'm already over the moon - it's the solution I've been waiting for for so long!
I can't agree more, I got a ATV2 to replace my old media player made upon a NVIDIA GeForce 8300 chipset.
I can compare quality of both video cards with the same TV and using the same HDMI wire.
Picture from the ATV2 seems to be blurry and colors washed out.
I think the problem is not due to XBMC as it is the same with Apple software.

The main issue is that I feel it can leads to eyes strain.
Well ATV2 is a slight disappointment for me.
Any of you guys get to figure this out? I'm having the same problem, but running a recently built full HTPC with Windows 7 vs, PS3. I just searched for all posts with the keyword "blurry"...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] poor/blurry .avi playback0