• 2(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
Doesn't seem to work for me either unfortunately. I'm connected via HDMI and my receiver is a Denon AVR-590.
I get a loud static noise when I try to play files with 5.1 audio Sad
Majestic Wrote:For me the setting doesnt work. I got no sound with this on true. HDMI or optical. Any suggestions?

Try editing the file when XBMC isn't running. When you relaunch it you should be good!
oksehud Wrote:or do I have to copy the xml file to another location, open it in the editor, and copy it back to the atv2 Huh

That's all I did. Copy it to the desktop then edit it with notepad (or whatever the equivalent is if you're using a mac), save it, then copy it back and replace the file with the new one.

I dunno if that's the right way to do it or not though (since mine didn't work :p)
You can install "nano" which is a console based text editor and use that to edit the xml file.

That is what I did to get it working.
this is just awesome!
Works great with all my movies.
DN38416 Wrote:That's all I did. Copy it to the desktop then edit it with notepad (or whatever the equivalent is if you're using a mac), save it, then copy it back and replace the file with the new one.

I dunno if that's the right way to do it or not though (since mine didn't work :p)

Like i said, I'm a total noob at terminal....

to copy the file to the desktop, do I have to enter:
cp guisetting.xml computername/username/Desktop

within terminal, when in the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata directory ??

Edit the file and do the reverse command ??
DN38416 Wrote:Doesn't seem to work for me either unfortunately. I'm connected via HDMI and my receiver is a Denon AVR-590.
I get a loud static noise when I try to play files with 5.1 audio Sad

Same here.
I might try restoring and re-jailbreaking my ATV2.. see if that fixes my issue. I might try updating to 4.1.1 firmware too. I may have messed around with too many settings.

To you guys who have it working... What firmware are you on?
oksehud Wrote:Like i said, I'm a total noob at terminal....

to copy the file to the desktop, do I have to enter:
cp guisetting.xml computername/username/Desktop

within terminal, when in the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata directory ??

Edit the file and do the reverse command ??

I have no idea what to do in terminal, sorry... I used a program in windows (WinSCP) and all I did was drag and drop, but I later realised that all I needed to do was right click on the file and select edit.
Worked for me too.

Intructions to noobs;

1- Download "Cyberduck" http://cyberduck.ch/
2- Preferences> Select text editor. Close
3- New Connection
4. Select SFTP (SSH secure file transfer)
5. Server: ATV2 local ip address
6. User: root
7. Password: "alpine" if not changed
8. Press connect
9. Browse to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata
10. Select guisettings.xml right button, edit as bruienne said.
11. Save and disconnect.
12. Enjoy!
can also
apt-get install nano
then
nano /var/mobile/Library/Preference/XBMC/userdata/guisettings.xml
ctrx x for exit and save
so its for sure that this "hack" is only passing through the 5.1 ac3 and dts if your ATV is connected via optical audio?

hdmi is a no go right now? just static noise?

too bad i lent my optical cable to a friend. have to get it back and find out myself i guess Wink
maxsql Wrote:so its for sure that this "hack" is only passing through the 5.1 ac3 and dts if your ATV is connected via optical audio?

hdmi is a no go right now? just static noise?

too bad i lent my optical cable to a friend. have to get it back and find out myself i guess Wink

Mine's connected via optical&hdmi and it's still static noise. I don't understand how some people got this to work.
Hi...
Perfect worked for me, but since I changed it, I lost the clicking sound when scrolling throu the menu...Anybody else?
I mean the important thing is that DD is working now, but I am curious to know why the clicking sound dissapeared...
Thanks
jhonny30 Wrote:Hi...
Perfect worked for me, but since I changed it, I lost the clicking sound when scrolling throu the menu...Anybody else?
I mean the important thing is that DD is working now, but I am curious to know why the clicking sound dissapeared...
Thanks

Nope, still have the UI feedback click when navigating with passthrough enabled. My Denon AVR-2805 only kicks into DD or DTS mode when content with it is played back, otherwise it is in 2.0 mode.

HTH.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21