[AppleTV2] Replacing AppleTV Springboard with XBMC at startup possible on ATV2?
patranus Wrote:Anyone know how (if its even possible) to replace the default AppleTV Springboard GUI with XBMC at startup?

try this..it work for me..
Can the ATV2 directly boot into XBMC?

Yes but there's currently no way back to the ATV2 menu without disabling direct booting. SSH into the ATV2 and:

To enable direct booting:

apt-get install org.tomcool.xbmc-booter

To disable direct booting:

apt-get remove org.tomcool.xbmc-booter

to ssh to apple tv it ssh root@your -appletv-ip
albertmartel Wrote:try this..it work for me..
Can the ATV2 directly boot into XBMC?

Yes but there's currently no way back to the ATV2 menu without disabling direct booting. SSH into the ATV2 and:

To enable direct booting:

To disable direct booting:

to ssh to apple tv it ssh root@your -appletv-ip

Thank you Smile
The only down side is there is NO "go to sleep" mode within XBMC. So my poor ATv2 is always ON
a6unx Wrote:The only down side is there is NO "go to sleep" mode within XBMC. So my poor ATv2 is always ON

The AppleTV1/2 never does a true sleep so it consumes the same amount of power regardless.
a6unx Wrote:The only down side is there is NO "go to sleep" mode within XBMC. So my poor ATv2 is always ON

Doesn't matter - the suspend mode is poor fake ... it doesn't save any energy - it only powers off the hdmi output. CPU and the other stuff is still running as before ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
disabling the hdmi output can be very useful to indicate to other AVR/deinterlacers that a device is no longer active... some rely on the HDMI output levels of connected devices to go to sleep/low power themselves. So its not just about how much power the ATV2 uses.
davilla Wrote:The AppleTV1/2 never does a true sleep so it consumes the same amount of power regardless.
So why my atv2 is cold when is sleeping and hot when not?
Probably because you have the other devices near it turned off too?
g-off Wrote:Probably because you have the other devices near it turned off too?
No. Wink
Well, if XBMC is running (dirty regions not turned on), then the CPU is doing work even if nothing is being done. I think all these power draw statements are based on the AppleTV without XBMC running.
I've never had my ATV2 run hot... that's kind of concerning.
Whatever. If you could put it to sleep you might save 1W - but you can't.

I don't get out of bed for less than 10W.
Can't replace springboard but to boot directly to XBMC see:

Ok campers, you ask for it and now you can have it.
Thanks to tomcool (with some poking from davilla),
you can boot the atv2 and have it enter into xbmc directly.
No more having to right button over and start it...

on quit it does not exit to frontrow ...
because appletv.app gets restarted at xbmc quit it just restarts into xbmc
so you'll never see the apple software again with xbmc-booter installed...

How to install:

How to remove:

kill-a-watt, never leave home without it. I never guess on how much power a device draws anymore Smile
Hi Davilla, thanks for pushing this great utility, it has helped me out a lot with the other non-tech users in my household.

Is there any chance of adding the facility to send a "magic packet" while it is booting into xbmc? I already have an add-on to do this, but it requires the other members of the household to navigate through menus to find the command- not always good for domestic relations!
And I haven't been able to find any other add-on to do this automatically. The reason for wanting this, the NAS box with all the media on it is in another room in the house remote from the lounge room.

Thanks, Ken.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Replacing AppleTV Springboard with XBMC at startup possible on ATV2?1