PVR support in XBMC for iOS?
Good morning,

at first I want to say thanks for the great work on xbmc and the iOS port.

I am using two Nvidia ION Atom PCs with Ubuntu and XBMC as media central at the moment. Because of my VDR and VNSI/Streamdev I can watch all my TV programs with XBMC.

Actually I used the repository of the yavdr with the prebuild XBMC/PVR.

So the Apple TV 2 would be a great system to use instead of my atom pcs. All I need is XBMC with PVR support.

But how can I get VNSI or Streamdev in the current iOS release of xbmc?
It seems you need a merged source between

https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc/

https://github.com/xbmc/atv2
Hi Muuh,

I will try to build xbmc with pvr support with Xcode and iOS SDK. First time I try to build something for iOS - Keep your fingers crossed for me... :/
I didn´t get it. I can´t build the iOS version. Is there any possibility to add the streamdev or vnsi plugin without building xbmc? Maybe there is a way to copy only the files in the prebuild version?
no.
does the apple tv2 or ipad support mpeg2 hardware acceleration?
moontan77 Wrote:does the apple tv2 or ipad support mpeg2 hardware acceleration?

no.
thanks, thats what I was thinking. So pvr version of xbmc is probably no use to a lot of people (in europe anyways) since most channels are still mpeg2 and i assume the a4 cpu would struggle to process those channels.
moontan77 Wrote:thanks, thats what I was thinking. So pvr version of xbmc is probably no use to a lot of people (in europe anyways) since most channels are still mpeg2 and i assume the a4 cpu would struggle to process those channels.

Not really a correct assumption.
Wy would you want pvr support for the aTV2 at this moment?
Just the possibility to play a rtsp stream would be enough. I have one Asrock 330ht with XBMC and TVHeadend and I have a old plain xbox. The xbox doesn't support pvr but it will play rtsp streams. If the xbox can, why wouldn't the aTV2?
MPEG2 is not really hard to decode, an 1GHZ ARM should have no problem with SD-MPEG2 (HD is always H264 in Europe)

Also Apple never integrated MPEG2 in their products, first they used custom codecs like cinepak, then mpeg4, then h263 (at least for ichat), now h264. So it would have been a waste of circuits to integrate MPEG2-hardware-decoding (at least from apples pov)
xburchartz Wrote:Wy would you want pvr support for the aTV2 at this moment?
Just the possibility to play a rtsp stream would be enough. I have one Asrock 330ht with XBMC and TVHeadend and I have a old plain xbox. The xbox doesn't support pvr but it will play rtsp streams. If the xbox can, why wouldn't the aTV2?

Hey xburchartz,
can you explain your set-up to me (the super dumbed down version). All I have are Windows 7 PCs (three Hauppauge USB tuners and the dual tuner HD Homerun) and want to get PVR on XBMC, so I can ditch WMC.

I'm asking here because I am also curious about getting TV channels/RTSP streams to my ATV 2 once I JailBreak it.
haifischjunge Wrote:Also Apple never integrated MPEG2 in their products, first they used custom codecs like cinepak, then mpeg4, then h263 (at least for ichat), now h264. So it would have been a waste of circuits to integrate MPEG2-hardware-decoding (at least from apples pov)

The circuits are already there in the form of the PowerVR hw decoder, mpeg2 is just not exposed as a decoding format.
I use XBMC for ios and with tvheadend streaming mpeg2 from iptv. The iPad can play it ok with a little stuttering, but on the iphone4 it is unwatchable.
TVheadend works great on my iPad.

I guess a PVR build might come after the merge back to trunk though? That would be lovely.

J
Check out my stationery blog- http://www.tailormadeinvites.co.uk

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR support in XBMC for iOS?1