• 11(current)
[AppleTV2] NFS on Apple TV 2?
buadhai Wrote:which mac os are you running?

threatdisplay Wrote:10.6.4

Could you please post your com.apple.nfsd.plist file?

TIA
What if i'm running 2008 R2 with NFS services which doesn't include user name mappings anymore. Am i screwed then? Tried to google abit but no luck
Buadhai Wrote:Could you please post your com.apple.nfsd.plist file?

TIA

hey there sorry i missed this question. will post as soon as i get home from work.

basically all you have to do is edit and add the "-N" script, per the directions.

you have to log in as root to do this, or it is not editable. look up how to enable root access on os x, it's on google somewhere.

hope this helps.
threatdisplay Wrote:hey there sorry i missed this question. will post as soon as i get home from work.

basically all you have to do is edit and add the "-N" script, per the directions.

you have to log in as root to do this, or it is not editable. look up how to enable root access on os x, it's on google somewhere.

hope this helps.

That's OK. I installed Lion and now NFS is running flawlessly with my existing (created in Snow Leopard) configuration.

Must have been some problem with NFS in Snow Leopard (or at least my SL installation).
i used an application called NFS Manager, which is free with nag screen. was very simple to set up NFS, somebody might want to edit the first post with the information on how to do so.
--
Hi,
Have had my appleTv a couple of days. Installed xbmc and have a qnap219p. When i connect to qnap through NFS I can se my folders but cannot open them. Have tried to find a solution but I'm not that technical. Hope for clues or solutions.
Memphiz Wrote:So. Then let me give you all a little info on WIP according to NFS. I've worked out some improvements and the libnfs dev also did some nice stuff for us beeing more comfortable.

* reduce number of mount requests to a minimum (increase performance on directory browsing)
* add dns name resolution (so at least dns resolvable names can be used in nfs urls)
* make nfs code in xbmc more robust to wrong configuration of url's or shutdown nfs servers
* libnfs: increased performance on read requests
* libnfs: fetch a list with exported filesystems from the server
* libnfs: fetch a list with all nfs servers inside one subnet.
* libnfs: compatibilityfix for solaris nfs servers

So this means in the next libnfs / xbmc version you even don't need to setup the nfs url. It will be just as simple as browsing the network for samba servers then. There is no ETA since i'm working together with the libnfs dev here who is busy during the week. So we have to sync on weekends.

I read this thread for the first time yesterday never realizing XBMC could handle NFS shares. I had always mounted my NFS shares within OS X and accessed them as volumes within XBMC. This added some unneeded overhead that has now been eliminated by having XBMC access the shares directly Big Grin

I have an unRAID server (modified Slackware Linux distro) with all of its NFS shares set up with *(rw,all_squash,insecure), and it is working perfectly.

With that said, I have a question concerning one of the improvements mentioned in this post from 7/10/11. The improvement mentioned is:

* add dns name resolution (so at least dns resolvable names can be used in nfs urls)

Has this been implemented? I have had my server name setup in my /etc/hosts file on my OS X box for sometime now to make life easier accessing my server through Terminal and Safari. It works just fine for these cases, but I cannot use it's host name to access it in XBMC. I have to use the actual IP address.
hosts file is not dns ... it resolvs dns names ... so if you don't have a local dns server in your lan - you have to use the ip...

i for myself use maradns on my router which serves me with my local top level domain "sog" and all hosts have dns entrys there...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:hosts file is not dns ... it resolvs dns names ... so if you don't have a local dns server in your lan - you have to use the ip...

i for myself use maradns on my router which serves me with my local top level domain "sog" and all hosts have dns entrys there...

Gotcha! Guess I didn't understand the differences, but I follow now. I have an Airport Extreme and from my very quick research, it doesn't appear it will handle Local DNS, but I could possibly be able to get there by way of dnsmasq on my unRAID box. This would setup my unRAID machine as both the DHCP and DNS server with my Airport Extreme as a bridge, but not sure if I'll bother. The unRAID server is setup with a static IP and there's no point in ever changing it. I'm just thrilled to learn XBMC handles NFS directly!

Thanks for the clarification!
Kurdsson Wrote:Hi,
Have had my appleTv a couple of days. Installed xbmc and have a qnap219p. When i connect to qnap through NFS I can se my folders but cannot open them. Have tried to find a solution but I'm not that technical. Hope for clues or solutions.

Just upgraded to the latest nightly and tried to setup NFS but have the same problem. I've configured it as described using NFS Manager & the mod on my local NFS xml but can only see the shared folder on my ATV2 and not list its content. SMB works fine, i would just like to use NFS as it has better performance. I'm using Snow Leopard.
One of these should help.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109228

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Net...gy_or_QNAP
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
atvtwo Wrote:Just upgraded to the latest nightly and tried to setup NFS but have the same problem. I've configured it as described using NFS Manager & the mod on my local NFS xml but can only see the shared folder on my ATV2 and not list its content. SMB works fine, i would just like to use NFS as it has better performance. I'm using Snow Leopard.

Since you don't mention if you use the Snoe Leopard for XBMC or for NFS - Server or if you are using a QNAP NAS - this might help you aswell (if you want to setup the NFS - Server on snow leopard):

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Net...om_Mac_OSX
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Regarding my setup, i'm trying to use my Macbook Pro w/ Snow Leopard as "media server". Streaming movies from a shared folder on the Mac via NFS to my ATV2 thats using XBMC.

What i found odd is that when setting up the share on my ATV2 using zeroconf the path is kinda urlencoded, i.e. all the slashes etc are shown with %20, %40 etc. This does not happen when setting up SMB using zeroconf (is there any difference btw setting up SMB using zeroconf or SMB?).

I'm wondering if this could be a permission issues but i've doubled-checked the folder on my Mac i'm trying to access from the ATV2 and it has read/write permission for everybody so shoudnt be a prob me thinks.

Its really odd, since i can see the the shared folder with correct remote path on the ATV2 but when clicking on it, it doesnt change into the folder to show its content. Would XBMC ask me for username / password to login into the NFS or does this happen automatically as with SMB?
I could never get NFS server to work with Snow Leopard. SMB worked fine. When I switched to Lion, NFS worked immediately with no change in the NFS configuration.

I have no idea why.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] NFS on Apple TV 2?0