HTPC/Home Server combo
Hi:

I would like some help with this issue:

I would like to build/buy an HTPC/Home Server combo. Main requisites are that it should be low power and silent, preferably fanless . It will be running Ubuntu Server/Desktop and XBMC. It will also serve as my backup server.

It will be running on my living room 24/7, there isn't too much space and sound isolation.

Solution one:

Shuttle XS35GT with SSD internal and two external USB disks.
Pro - Total passive
low power (in 20's Watts)
Cons- No SPDIF (I have an amplifier with no HDMI inputs)

Zotac zbox hd-id 40 with SSD and one external USB disks + external eSata disk
Pro - eSata + spdif
Cons- has a fan. Noise?
Power consumption is higher than the shuttle due to fan (30's ? )

The other solution is to split the functions in two: htpc and home server. The problem is that in this case the home server is connect through power line... so no HD streaming...

So my questions:

Is it possible to play 1080p from USB disks?
Can I had SPDIF to the Shuttle?

The other solution is to build an entire PC based on the Asus AT5IONT-I motherboard, more expensive but probably wiser:

- Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I
- RAM: 2GB
- Internal Disks:
- Apex MI-008

And probably a Pico-PSU of 60W.

No idea how much power this would consume for a 24/7...

So what do you think? Suggestions for the case?
It is usually advised to keep your HTPC and Server setup separate due to heat and performance. The only way to get adequate hard drive cooling is by use of fans, which will emit noise to a certain degree.

I was looking into doing something similar but realized that it probably isn't worth it in the end. I probably will build an UnRaid server and a small overclockable ion HTPC.
I don't know much about the prebuilt boxes, but I have an AT5IONT-I in a A+ Cupid 3 with two (old) 1TB hard drives. The biggest source of noise is the hard drives. If you were to get an 'energy efficient' hard drive, such as the Seagate Barracude LP 2TB, then I do not think you would have an issue with noise or cooling.

Note that if you did go for the AT5IONT-I, it is definitely a good idea to get a case with a fan, as running it totally passive can overheat. This is why I got the Cupid-3, as the PSU fan sits right over the motherboard heatsink.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
Thanks for your input:

For separated HTPC + Home Server I was thinking in:

HTPC -> Shuttle XS35GT with SSD and 2GB ram connected to my 100MPBs home network.

Home Server -> Foxconn netbox N270 with 1GB RAM and USB harddisks.

The problem is that between the two the connection will be done through Powerline connectors, namely the 85MPS NetGear XE1004 devices. The connection speed will be around 40/50MBPs real.

Would it be possible to stream 1080p with that speed?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC/Home Server combo0