HTPC Build - need advices
Hi everyone,

I've been using XBMC on my old Xbox since 2006 and I’m in love with it.
Now I would like to get to HD instead of SD and I’m thinking about a HTPC build.

These are the starting points:
- I would use XBMC Live (I would like a standalone box image…)
- I have 2 main uses of XBMC: playing mp3s from my daap share (firefly) and playing DvD and BD rips (HD – 720p or 1080p) over the wi-fi 802.11n lan

I was thinking about purchasing the asus AT3IONT-I DELUXE, add 2Gb RAM and put XBMC Live in a 4Gb usb stick (no HDD as I do not have use of it).

Would this solution be ok for my needs?

I was thinking also on going to something like this:
Scheda Madre AsRock G41C-VS - 775, DDR2/DDR3, Intel G41 + ICH7, Ethernet, mATX
€ 34,00

CPU Intel Celeron E3300 2.50GHz Socket 775 FSB 800MHz 65W Boxed BX80571E3300
€ 39,00

VGA Asus EN210 Silent/DI/512MD2(LP) GeForce GT 210 Core 589MHz Memory GDDR2 800MHz 512MB Low Profile VGA DVI-I HDMI
€ 28,00

RAM DDR3 Team Group Value TVD32048M1333C9 1333MHz 2GB CL9
€ 15,50

So I will save some €… is this a better solution? With LIVE is involved big driver/setting up issues or everything should run smoothly at the first run?

Which remote should I buy?

As you can understand, I would like to stay on really low budget…

Thanks in advance for your helpful answers and… sorry for my bad English !
have you considered a zotac, jetway, acer or whatever mini barebone?? I'm not sure how much they are, but I see newegg usually has good priced combos...

as for the 1080p rips over WLAN... I'm not sure at all it will work Ok, I don't think you'll be able to a play a 15GB bd-rip over wlan, even if it's 'N' speed.
regarding barebones or something like the acer REVO the price tag is slighty higher, so it's a nono for me :-)

as for prices I do live in Italy, so I won't be able to buy overseas :-(

For the wi-fi N in theory (theory...) should be enough.
On PCPro last month there was an analysis of the bandwidth needed for HD rips from nas/server to a mediaplayer and they stated that wi-fi N, Powernet o 100Mb lan should work ok without any losses, while on wi-fi G in some cases the bandwidth is not enough. That’s the only opinion I got about using wi-fi N from my smb share to the mediaplayer
Your build looks ok for what you're planning to do with it.
I've never heard of the RAM brand though, so I don't know how reliable their products are.
If you can afford it I'd suggest getting some G.Skill, OCZ, Kingston or Corsair RAM instead.
If you want super fast boot times, see if you can get a cheapish SSD or USB3 drive. Most USB drives don't use the full 480MB/s of USB2. By getting a USB3 drive, you can guarantee this. I don't know how much they go for on the continent, but here in the UK, you can pick up a cheap USB3 stick for about £15 (about €18).
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
the alternative can be building the HTPC from these parts:

Asus Mini-ITX/GF9400M AT3IONT-I DELUXE CPU integrato ALC887, 5.1
€ 159,50
RAM DDR3 Kingston Valueram KVR1333D3N9/2G 1333Mhz 2GB CL9
€ 19,50

It is 60€ more, but it comes with already built in wi-fi N (20€Wink and remote (20€Wink
Plus the mini ITX case is 12€ cheaper, so it’s almost at the same price…

So t is better the ION or the GF210 ?

Or should I wait for the ATV2 to get a more stable release?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Build - need advices0