[AppleTV2] .mkv files with subtitles do not work
Hey everyone,

Sadly this is my first post on the forums. I have searched high and low and cannot find a solution to this issue.

I have just setup my AppleTV2G with XBMC and am attempting to watch .mkv files (anime) with the subtitles inside the .mkv file. Sadly however the subtitles do not show up, after testing this with several files the result is the same.

I installed the newest version of XBMC on my Mac that I am streaming the files from to see if they would work and of course they did.

Any support / help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Donovan
Hi,

This is my first message too.

I've been having this same problem with my Ipad (iOS xbmc), subtitles not showing up during playback of anime on mkv files.

However I've made an interesting discovery, and it's that SOME subtitles do show up in some media, depending of the release. Also, in files that do not show subtitles, if the "select custom subtitle" menu is brought up, the subtitles will show up FOR A SECOND, although corrupted.

Could you confirm this behavior? It might be a problem of rendering custom subtitles.

File that shows subtitles OK: [gg]_Star_Driver_-_03_[8A012BA4].mkv
Pretty much everything else has the aforementioned problem with subtitles.
donovan.g Wrote:Hey everyone,

Sadly this is my first post on the forums. I have searched high and low and cannot find a solution to this issue.

I have just setup my AppleTV2G with XBMC and am attempting to watch .mkv files (anime) with the subtitles inside the .mkv file. Sadly however the subtitles do not show up, after testing this with several files the result is the same.

I installed the newest version of XBMC on my Mac that I am streaming the files from to see if they would work and of course they did.

Any support / help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Donovan

Well I have MKVs with subtitles that work fine. You need to provide more info.
Masterbrew Wrote:Well I have MKVs with subtitles that work fine. You need to provide more info.

Works fine here too. Check your settings.
I have this problem for quite some times with the windows releases(at least a year back).
I also tried running problematic files on my ipod touch and the problem remains.

This seems to be only with certain anime shows with embedded subtitles.
Ok, I just tried the same files on the windows version of XBMC and both display subtitles fine. Options are default on both versions (iOS and windows) but the windows version works ok and the ipad version does not display subtitles on some MKV.

Is there some workaround (maybe editing some ini file?) that alters the behavior of subtitles on MKV files? I know the iOS version is still early, but I am really excited about watching my media on the ipad without trans-coding/re-encoding Smile

Thanks a lot.
Regarding to > this post<, SSA subtitles are know to be broken in current iOS XBMC.

Check your sub file extension or the mkv content (with MKVMerge GUI) as MKV is a container which embeds elements such as subtitles as they are.
Odon Wrote:Regarding to > this post<, SSA subtitles are know to be broken in current iOS XBMC.

Check your sub file extension or the mkv content (with MKVMerge GUI) as MKV is a container which embeds elements such as subtitles as they are.

I checked and yeah, all the files that don't display subtitles have ASS subtitles attached. Strangely, some of the files that work also have ASS subtitles, I guess not ALL subs fail.

Anyway, I guess it's just a matter of waiting for the dev team to fix it. Thanks a lot for the feedback.
new info here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=722...stcount=27

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] .mkv files with subtitles do not work0