• 7(current)
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive
canukhd Wrote:I seem to have the same problem as a previous poster. I downloaded the installer.img.gz from http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/installer/ and loaded it on a 4 Gig USB stick using USB Image Tool.exe under windows. I put the usb stick in the ATV1 and booted into linux but get:

[...] "connecting to svn.stmlabs.com:87.106.100.246:80... connected
http request sent, awaiting response ... 404 Not Found."

It appears to me that the install script in /home/atv/scripts/initialise.sh gets the file name for the wget http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for...s/install/"$DISTCHOICE" command from DISTCHOICE=`cat /.distro` but when I issue cat /.distro I get a blank line. This seems to be causing the 404 error. I tried issuing the wget command manually, but I get errors that zenity is not found.

I am new to linux so any help would be appreciated and apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. My goal is to install XBMC on the hard drive of my ATV1. I have been using pin87's image on a USB but need more space

Thanks

I got the same problem as canukhd last night when I gave this a try.
Followed the same process as well, downloaded the USB Installer image, put it on a stick using USBit and get a 404 after booting the apple tv.
The URL it is trying to hit seems to be
http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for...nstall/.sh
I checked from my PC and the SVN Repo contains IIRC 2 .sh files, 1 for crystal and 1 for ubuntu.

Confess to being a bit lost now as I'm a complete Linux noob.
I had the same issue, but using the steps below i was able to get it working. Let me tell you it is awesome. Thank you so much Sam, this is great.

wget http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for.../ubuntu.sh
chmod +x ubuntu.sh
sudo ./ubuntu.sh
Question 
Is that all? What about all the other stuff in the scripts? Choosing USB or Internal disk etc.etc. Installing XBMC......

Won't those lines just download and run the Ubuntu installer script?

Like I said, a complete Linux numpty, that's me Blush
that is exactly right. It is actually really cool. after you run ubuntu.sh it will set up your internal harddrive, resizing and everything. then you get a message to unplug the USB and reboot. When you reboot then all of the other scripts run that install the crystalhd drivers and xbmc.

dont do this if you dont want to wipe your internal hard drive.
Question 
Aslan2120 Wrote:I had the same issue, but using the steps below i was able to get it working. Let me tell you it is awesome. Thank you so much Sam, this is great.

wget http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for.../ubuntu.sh
chmod +x ubuntu.sh
sudo ./ubuntu.sh

Thanks Aslan2120, I did that and it ran the script BUT, having had the message to unplug the USB to reboot the apple tv rebooted and now I'm stuck staring at a flashing ? on the screen.

I haven't seen any option to choose USB or anything at any time.

By reboot, does it mean unplug and plug back in? As well as being unfamiliar with Linux this is the first Apple product I've ever owned, so is there a secret key combo on the remote that everyone but me knows or something?
I have now a similar issue on mine. I ran the ubuntu.sh script without any issues on 2 of my AppleTVs. I ran it on the 3rd and when I rebooted i got the flashing ?. the issue seems to be that when it creates the partition /dev/sda1 it is not creating the hfs+ partition properly. When it gets to the part of the script where it copies the com.apple.Boot.plist file it fails becasue it cannot mount the partition. I have no idea why this is happening on only one of the atvs. Like I said the other 2 went beautifully

The only thing I can think of is that the hard drive on this 3rd atv has gone bad. I used the exact came installer.img for each one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing this?
Question 
Aslan2120 Wrote:I have now a similar issue on mine. I ran the ubuntu.sh script without any issues on 2 of my AppleTVs. I ran it on the 3rd and when I rebooted i got the flashing ?. the issue seems to be that when it creates the partition /dev/sda1 it is not creating the hfs+ partition properly. When it gets to the part of the script where it copies the com.apple.Boot.plist file it fails becasue it cannot mount the partition. I have no idea why this is happening on only one of the atvs. Like I said the other 2 went beautifully

The only thing I can think of is that the hard drive on this 3rd atv has gone bad. I used the exact came installer.img for each one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing this?

Aslan2120: Interesting! I reran via putty instead of direct on the ATV and found this after looking back through the output

Code:
15:50:49 (58.58 MB/s) - `com.apple.Boot.plist.2' saved [545/545]

** /dev/sda1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

umount: /dev/sda1: not mounted
--15:50:49--  http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/ubuntu/hardy/core/fstab
           => `fstab.2'

So I was thinking the same thing, has the disk gone bad? Perhaps this would explain why XBMC that was running under the Apple OS was performing so poorly and crashing often.....also why the guy sold me it on ebay Eek
yep that is exactly what I am getting. I am going to try to set up all the partitions manually. What is odd is that running the "gunzip -c Recovery.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sda1" should image the /dev/sda1 partition as hfsplus regardless of the parted command. I did not get a chance to try this last night, but this weekend I am going to try to reformat the HD in that atv and try running through the script manually to see if I can see why. The only other thing I can think of is that the installer.img is missing the patched version of parted or the hfsplus tools, but that seems unlikely since the other 2 atv worked fine.
Rofl

Done it.....

Took the script apart and executed it step by step, needed a little fiddling and a bit of Linux learning on my part, granting rights to the paths etc.etc. so I could mount/umount etc.

I also have component output to my TV and I had to edit the xorg.conf file in order to get that working as I was left with a blank screen, I thought it had crapped out again but aimlessly hit a button the remote to be rewarded by the "swish" sound that Confluence makes Big Grin So I hunted out a post giving details of some entries to make, rebooted and Nod

Thanks for your help and good luck with yours.
Thanks for all the help above; I ran ubuntu.sh as suggested and managed to get the image loaded on the ATV1. The first time I tried it, I got the flashing ?, but I tried again and the image loaded correctly.

The only problem I am having is that I can not get the SMB shares to work. When I add a source and browse the network, I can see WORKGROUP where my other computers are, but when I click on WORKGROUP, I see the working pop-up with the spinning wheel. It spins for about a minute and then says "Connection timed out"; I get the same behavior if I add the share manually using the full path. i.e. smb://CANUKHD-PC/DVD Movies.

Any ideas? I have searched the forums but have not found anything that works.
After some more investigation, it seems that it is a DNS problem. If I put in the IP address of the shares, everything works. However this is not the best solution as the addresses will change if the power goes down when DHCP assigns a new one. Any ideas? I use opendns to restrict access to some sites, but DNS seems to resolve local host names on other computers and on the ATV1 box when using the command line (PING).

Thanks,

Canukhd
@pauljbent. I am gald you got your working. I also was able to. I took the script apart and got it to run by custominzing the Recovery.img so I did not have to mount and copy the com.apple.Boot.plist file in the script itself. It works great now.
canukhd Wrote:After some more investigation, it seems that it is a DNS problem. If I put in the IP address of the shares, everything works. However this is not the best solution as the addresses will change if the power goes down when DHCP assigns a new one. Any ideas? I use opendns to restrict access to some sites, but DNS seems to resolve local host names on other computers and on the ATV1 box when using the command line (PING).

Thanks,

Canukhd

I am not sure I understand fully your issue but you might want to use static entries in your DHCP server (which would be your router I would assume).

I do that with my ATV but I don't have other shares or anything. This means even if you reboot the DHCP will always give the same IP's to the same hosts all the time and reserve them if they are not used.

K.
Your DNS problem:

Check /etc/resolv.conf

For all readers of this thread:

I have now fully released the UI installer.
Thumbs Up 
Sam

You Rock ! Success (from OSX adding a few macport tools fuse-ext2 and gptsync) !

Seems my initial attempts were being hampered by a doggy USB flash drive that would crap out half way though with I/O Read errors.

I guess when this line (below) in the ubuntu.sh script got stuck downloading the Root Image file...0k per sec for an hour....
Code:
wget "http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/ubuntu/hardy/core/Root.img.gz"
My only choice is to reboot and start again..it would be great however if the script had some checking to see if any of the images are already downloaded (comparing size/timestamp etc) , the wget -c & -N options may help here? This would also help if one was installing a series of ATV's...

Also is there some specific file structure on the swap partition requiring an image download or can this be created by issuing commands ?

BTW it would be cool if you published the download/update stats from your web server. From there there are a bunch of other "features" you could offer.

Just need to fix my judder, Alsa/SPDIF and some other video freeze and VC-1 container issues and I have a solution.

Please keep up the great work and I for one will continue to support you.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive2