• 2(current)
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive
Quote:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
...change /dev/sdbX to /dev/sdaX (4 times in the file, 2 are only comments though), Just change the b to an a, leave the number the same.

I know jack about Linux, so I may be wrong, but I think if you're going to be re-sizing your internal drive to use the whole thing:

you have to reboot
THEN remove the ext3 partition on the internal drive
THEN edit fstab and
THEN copy the partition from sdb (the USB stick) to sda (the internal drive)

Otherwise when you reboot, you end up booting from the internal drive and you can't delete the partition...

Unless I'm wrong. And I've been wrong before.

-Wes
Well, everything seems to have installed just fine - Thanks!

After the ATV boots, I end up with just a blank screen.

This is using both Component and HDMI.

I can SSH in and everything looks fine.

XBMC.bin is running, humming along at 5-7% cpu.

Is there anything special that I forgot to do?
waldo22 Wrote:After the ATV boots, I end up with just a blank screen.

2 reboots (sudo reboot) after un-plugging Component cables seems to have solved the problem.

Is having both simultaneously connected a no-no?

-Wes
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@waldo22

http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/u...ardy/core/

Changed the project URL. The images here are updated.

Hi Sam,

The dates on the images look recent. Are these images newer that what everyone else's using or did you just upload the same image recently?

K.
Thanks so much for all the help in this thread, everything worked great.

Just so everyone knows, the reason I thought it wasn't working at first was that about every 2nd or 3rd boot the boot-up process fails trying to connect to svn.stmlabs.com.

It appears to be a DNS error, but I'm not sure.

I just SSH in and do "sudo reboot" and it comes back up fine.

-Wes
kar200 Wrote:Hi Sam,

The dates on the images look recent. Are these images newer that what everyone else's using or did you just upload the same image recently?

K.

These are indeed the new images. The installer is coming very soon.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:These are indeed the new images. The installer is coming very soon.

Good job as always. I did indeed see the installer which seemed a bit large. I suppose it contains the image and the tools to format then install a fresh new image. I might have to give it a go now Smile

I also noticed that you have packaged the image in 2 ways. one with the full image and the other with the partitions and boot sector in separate files. I might just copy the root partition which should do the trick since the others should be the same

Again thanks for your work and I will wait patiently for the changelog/release when you are ready.

K.
I was also wondering if we can use skype on the apple tv? I am meant to travle away soon and would love to have it setup in the big TV (to see my kids) with my webcam (Logitech STX) that worked on normal version of Ubunutu before.

I tried to search for it on Google/XBMC but I could not find any tutorial. I think most of the versions here run on top of the desktop which might make it easier to setup.

Even if someone knows of a script/command to start something on the GUI on top of XBMC would be fantastic. I can figure out way to install Skype by spending some time on it.

K.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:These are indeed the new images. The installer is coming very soon.

Sam any news on if the installer is ready? great work by the way
I wanted to say thank you for this tutorial. It was awesome and it got Sam's latest beta image running from scratch on my Apple TV 1.

Just a few issues I have run into that I was hoping I could get some help with.

Not sure what I did wrong, if anything, but the user xbmc/xbmc never existed. I have had to use atv/atv to get in via SSH and FTP every time. The issue I have is that the atv/atv user does not have root access so I am unable to FTP any files up to the xbmc folder which I need to do. Any ideas there?

Also I have a 160 GB apple TV and when I got to the steps to use all the disk space, I was unable to perform the "sudo rm 3" command because the device was in use. I could not find a way to umount it either (sudo did not even work using SSH).

Anyway not sure if I messed up but I did each step literally though I realize there are always nuances. Anyway not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I did want to share my issues as if anyone else uses this guide like I did, step by step exact, maybe they ran into the same thing.
BDPNA Wrote:I wanted to say thank you for this tutorial. It was awesome and it got Sam's latest beta image running from scratch on my Apple TV 1.

Just a few issues I have run into that I was hoping I could get some help with.

Not sure what I did wrong, if anything, but the user xbmc/xbmc never existed. I have had to use atv/atv to get in via SSH and FTP every time. The issue I have is that the atv/atv user does not have root access so I am unable to FTP any files up to the xbmc folder which I need to do. Any ideas there?

Also I have a 160 GB apple TV and when I got to the steps to use all the disk space, I was unable to perform the "sudo rm 3" command because the device was in use. I could not find a way to umount it either (sudo did not even work using SSH).

Anyway not sure if I messed up but I did each step literally though I realize there are always nuances. Anyway not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I did want to share my issues as if anyone else uses this guide like I did, step by step exact, maybe they ran into the same thing.
Sorry I don't have answers to your questions at the minute but I wanted ask you a couple of my own. I started this guide today and so far xbmc works from my usb stick in the apple tv except for the sound. I want to get it resolved before I try and transfer it to the internal drive. First off, where did you get the image? I want to be sure we are trying the same one. Second, are you using hdmi and did you do anything special to get the sound working? Thanks.
Sam's new images are here with premade USB running image and an automated install to HDD.

Edit: Thanks for update Sam, so we just use the image as is. I've deleted the steps I outlined in case it confuses anyone.

This will erase the HDD on the ATV, so make a backup using ATVcloner if you have a Mac or swap out the HDD in the ATV for another model which can be safely erased.

For audio over HDMI both audio settings must be set to plughw:0,3 by selecting custom audio output then entering in that.
Starstream, you are right, however, the installer does not need them modifications, I have a script that incorporates xenity's dialog system to allow user simple choices of installation (waiting on Arch image though)
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Starstream, you are right, however, the installer does not need them modifications, I have a script that incorporates xenity's dialog system to allow user simple choices of installation (waiting on Arch image though)

Seems really great. Could I use it to install to an external powered USB hard drive, while keeping the option of an internal hard drive with OSX on it?

Philip
Starstream Wrote:Sam's new images are here with premade USB running image and an automated install to HDD.

The automated install to HDD needs a change in order to work
* plugin the USB flash drive into Ubuntu
* browse to Linux\home\atv\scripts\
* open up terminal and type sudo gedit
* drag and drop the initialise.sh into it
* change at the end of the script all 3 of "$DISTCHOICE".sh to ubuntu.sh
* click save then safely remove the USB drive
* plug the drive into the ATV and it will auto install sam's linux image to the HDD.

This will erase the HDD on the ATV, so make a backup using ATVcloner if you have a Mac or swap out the HDD in the ATV for another model which can be safely erased.

For audio over HDMI both audio settings must be set to plughw:0,3 by selecting custom audio output then entering in that.

Are you sure it's that easy?

I just tried with that image (made the distchoice change) got all the way to the reboot message from Sam. Removed the USB, unplugged the Apple TV, plugged it back in, and got the Apple TV logo with the blinking question mark.

I had a previously hacked ATV so maybe I need to repartition the thing myself before I run the installer stick? Or perhaps the installer assumes it's running on a factory ATV and not one that had a previous crystalbuntu on it?

EDIT - I'm just realizing the message is getting cut off on my screen, when I see the first-run text, am I safe to remove the USB and then unplug the apple TV?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive2