[AppleTV2] XBMC Setup - AirDisk / Multi-lingual support
Star 
After several trial and error, I have been able to setup my Apple TV 2 with XBMC.

First, I have stored all my movies in a USB HDD that is connected to my Airport-Extreme. Some of the movie file contains non-English names.

The disk is shared using accounts and set the SMB workgroup to be WORKGROUP by Airport Utility.

Here, I will assume everybody knows how to use ssh, sftp, and a text editor.

** Discard the part if you don't need multi-lingual support (start) **
Before proceeding the XBMC system settings, I have uploaded ttf fonts to XBMC. From (I am using a Mac) /Library/Fonts, copy a font that you know for sure supports the language you want to see from XBMC (file name, subtitle, ...)

Copy that font file (say "font.ttf") to two locations
1) /private/var/stash/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/media/Fonts

2) /private/var/stash/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons/skin.confluence/fonts

In 2), replace the DejaVuSans.ttf font using font.ttf (mv font.ttf DejaVuSans.ttf)

In XBMC system settings, change the following

1. (Subtitle Font) System->Videos->Subtitles->Font to use for text subtitles : font.ttf / - Character set : Your language

2. (File name Font) System->Appearance->International->Character set : Your language
** Discard the part if you don't need multi-lingual support (end) **

Now, to access AirDisk, first we have to make sure that AppleTV2 and AirDisk are in the same network and the same SMB client workgroup.

In XBMC system settings, change the following

1. (SMB Client) System->Network->SMB Client->Workgroup : WORKGROUP (this is default, but change it if you have to).

Now, goto Video->Add source->Browse->Add network location...

There input the following:
Protocol : Windows network (SMB)
Server name: (which was AIRPORT-EXTREME for me),
Shared folder: (That will be the volume name when you connect your mac to AirDisk)
and Username and password.
Press OK and Add to the media list.

The sources / media source list will be stored at
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/
sources.xml and mediasources.xml.

So, if you have really complex password and long list of sources,
you could try adding a dummy using XBMC and download updated files using sftp to your computer, edit them using a text editor, and upload them back to AppleTV2. (You might want to restart XBMC client.)

Note that if you are using text editor, the source is in the format of
smb://Username:Password@Servername/Shared folder

Final remark: NEVER change System->Power saving->Shutdown function! If you make it to Shutdown, when you press the power button to close the XBMC app, AppleTV2 itself will turn off and at this time, there is no way to turn on the AppleTV2 without tether booting.

After its done, you could enjoy all your multimedia files directly using AppleTV2 without a computer! (That's the ultimate goal of hacking AppleTV2, right?!)
By storing your entire iTunes library to the AirDisk, you could access iTunes library from AppleTV2 without a computer running iTunes.
The only thing that you might miss from iTunes would be the way they organize your library.
Thumbs Up 
Nice work! I'm just wondering how can I share my time capsule to my atv2. Thank you !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] XBMC Setup - AirDisk / Multi-lingual support0