ATV2 - XBMC Crashes with large .mkv files
If you want to install NitoTV after seas0npass jailbreak, do this...
1. SSH into your Apple TV2, the default password is “alpine”

2. Type “passwd” and enter a new password

3. Type: echo “deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

4. Type: apt-get update

5. Type: apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV

6. Type: reboot
Thanks Rhinoo I guess the only line I needed was

apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV then a reboot.

but I went through & installed NitoTV successfully so I can now install the add-ons, including updatebegone.

Thanks akevit I found something similar elsewhere that was pretty similar.

I'm finding now the ATV2 seems to be a little more sluggish when it comes out of XBMC so I'll need to see if it persists. It pauses on a completely blank screen for a while befor falling back to the default Seas0nPass default.

Thanks guys.
mankey Wrote:Thanks Rhinoo I guess the only line I needed was

apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV then a reboot.

but I went through & installed NitoTV successfully so I can now install the add-ons, including updatebegone.

Thanks akevit I found something similar elsewhere that was pretty similar.

I'm finding now the ATV2 seems to be a little more sluggish when it comes out of XBMC so I'll need to see if it persists. It pauses on a completely blank screen for a while befor falling back to the default Seas0nPass default.

Thanks guys.

Mine does this too, I just assumed this was the way it was supposed to work. So it normally is a quick transition from XBMC to Frontrow?
akevit Wrote:Mine does this too, I just assumed this was the way it was supposed to work. So it normally is a quick transition from XBMC to Frontrow?
When I used xbmc on firmware 4.2.1 (8C154) it closed to Frontview in an instant. It only takes around 3-4 seconds now, but it's a noticeable delay.

I don't have xbmc loaded with add-ons so it's quite surprising. Will try it for a while and may decide to rebuild if it doesn't improve. Maybe it's down to using an unreleased version of xbmc or maybe something else.
Hi all

Used to run XBMC on HTPC and loved it, then it died and I havent had time to build another one. I bought an ATV yesterday, JB it with seas0nPass , installed NitoTV and XBMC. Having an issue with a specific 1080p mkv where XBMC crashe and goes back to ATV. found this thread, and when I read the bit about subtitle thought that woulf fix it. Only I cant seem to get to that option to change. Im using an apple remote, and when its playing only functions the buttons seem to let me do is pause, skip forward or back or stop and go back to previous menu. I tried a diff 1080p mkv and it plays fine, with subtitles on as default also but doesn't crash. I'm using 4.3. Any suggestions?

I also had an issue with the audio for any DD encoded sound, which wouldn't play the audio just sounded like a helicopter/static. I could play any audio type if I didn't check "AV receiver AC3 capable" but all audio was then stereo. after trying many different options in both XBMC & ATV, in ATV settings I changed the audio to 16 bit. Then in XBMC turned back on the AC3 capable receiver option and it output DD audio which I was very happy with.

edit: lol just read the FAQ and found the AC3 issue and 16 bit solution already well documented..silly me!!
doczim Wrote:found this thread, and when I read the bit about subtitle thought that woulf fix it. Only I cant seem to get to that option to change. Im using an apple remote, and when its playing only functions the buttons seem to let me do is pause, skip forward or back or stop and go back to previous menu. I tried a diff 1080p mkv and it plays fine, with subtitles on as default also but doesn't crash. I'm using 4.3. Any suggestions?

When playing the mkv, hold the play button on the remote for a couple seconds, the OSD menu will show up and you will find the subtitle menu.
Captain Wrote:When playing the mkv, hold the play button on the remote for a couple seconds, the OSD menu will show up and you will find the subtitle menu.

Thanks heaps! this fixed it, no crashing anymore when playing that mkv - sweeet!
newbi Wrote:i am having the same issue.. MKV crashes after about 5 mins playback, except i have version 4.1.1 for my ATV2, jailbroken with greenp0sion ..

I have instalelled updatebegone via NitoTV, and I will try disabling subtitle, but has anyone found other solutions that can solve this?

I had a similar issues with large files, it turned out to be related to the background scan after new media. Stop the scan and try again, it worked for me.

I always stop the scan (if it´s scanning) now before streaming a movie - seems the background scan/scraping hogs too much resources.
doczim Wrote:Hi all
........ Having an issue with a specific 1080p mkv where XBMC crashe and goes back to ATV. found this thread, and when I read the bit about subtitle thought that woulf fix it.

If you're using the original Apple remote, don't you have to press the Right or Down button or something to make it select a menu option?

Also, the ATV2 will not natively play at 1080p. It should display the format but not at that resolution, playing at 720p. Guess it has the effect of 'downscaling' if that's the word.
mankey Wrote:If you're using the original Apple remote, don't you have to press the Right or Down button or something to make it select a menu option?

Also, the ATV2 will not natively play at 1080p. It should display the format but not at that resolution, playing at 720p. Guess it has the effect of 'downscaling' if that's the word.

The correct term is while the atv2 can and does decode 1080p it will downscale the display of it to 720p.
Okay...this has been driving me up the @$%&ing wall all yesterday and today. I have literally spent HOURS flashing and trying all kinds of fixes to get this working. I'm going to list what I have done.

1.) ATV running 4.1.1 (iOS 4.2.1) haven't really used it a few months so updated some stuff. See XBMC has a new layout...but after the update none of my MKVs will play anymore. Do some research and decided to just upgrade to the latest 4.3 and jailbreak that. Saved SHSH Blobs etc.

2.) Spent a hellish night getting the stupid thing to restore in iTunes (error 21, then error 16, then error 1600...ARGHHHHHHHH). Finally got it and updated. See OverFlow no longer works as well as some other things. FINE. As long as XBMC will play my MKVs. Does it? NO. So I keep reading. I did the hosts edit from a couple pages back, did updatebegone and also in nitoTV to disable them. Nothing. Also none of my MKVs have subtitles so I don't even know how I would do this OSD menu thing anyway. Everytime I try doing it with a regular AVI (those play fine) the Subtitles menu just tells me "None". Going to the other menu for settings there is no setting for Subtitles, but I press "Apply this to all videos" anyway. Still nothing. I also updated to the latest nightly as described by this page
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...MC_on_ATV2
also to no Avail. I also set subtitles to false in the guisettings.xml file. Still not working.

3.) Fine. It's obviously 4.3. So I decide a clean install with Seas0nPass again for 4.1.1. (iOS 4.2.1), and all goes well with the install..just did it an hour ago. Re-download XBMC from Nito..still doesn't work. Do everything as stated above (guisettings edit, updatebegone, hosts file ALL OF IT), it still refuses to do this. I have also rebooted my AppleTV several times to no avail as well (killall AppleTV, reboot, and even removing the stupid power). Did the nightly as well as stated there..and AGAIN still crashes back to the home screen.

Also here's what I updated/installed with nito on both installs
openSSH
updateBeGone
OVerflow
MainMenuSlideshow
Screensaver Settings
Exposed
BTStack

...I don't know what else I can do at this point. It is LITERALLY driving me insane. (I am about to throw this hockey puck of an ATV2 against the wall).

Please..someone tell me something else..ANYTHING else to try that might work. I have tried multiple of my MKVs and none of them refuse to play (I see "working" then just crashes back to the ATV2 main menu)..yet my AVIs play fine. It annoys me because the older version of XBMC played it FINE, which is why I'm wondering what this new version did to break everything.

I also have the xbmc.log file and did enable Debugging but looking at it..not sure what part I would post. I obviously don't want to post the whole thing since it shows me whole IP pulling the file from my UPNP server on it as well, but if someone would let me know what part to post so they can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
post full logs ... see my first link in my sig. If there is something in you don't want to - remove it beforehand with a text editor. If it was as easy as telling you "look for the line where it says - your xbmc crashed because of..." we didn't need the devs ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Good evening,

I think I have the same problem with large mkv files.
If I'm playing large MKV Files the ATV 2 crashed after a few minutes.
I tried several options like the "subtitles" etc. but i have still the same problem.
Unfortunately this only happens with one mkv file - other files (same codec etc.) works fine.

This is my system:
Apple TV 2 - FW 4.3 (2557)
XBMC: Pre 11.0 Git Compiled Jun 23. 2011
Connection to PC: Ethernet 100 Mbit Sharings with SMB.

Attached you will find my xbmc.log - I hope you can help me.
My xbmc.log http://pastebin.com/mVjCF6Wy

Thank you very much!
Memphiz Wrote:post full logs ... see my first link in my sig. If there is something in you don't want to - remove it beforehand with a text editor. If it was as easy as telling you "look for the line where it says - your xbmc crashed because of..." we didn't need the devs ...

Okay thanks! I removed my ip address and left everything else as is. I got a new clean log so hopefully it's not as much to sort through.

Just deleted my log and reproduced the problem and got it to that point.

I'm going to do this by the book as stated in your link.

UPDATE: Happened while I was typing this..but was trying to clear the syslog and was trying to reproduce the problem and one of my MKVs actually played for about 2-3 seconds before crashing again.

Platform: AppleTV2
Version of iOS/ATV: iOS 4.2.1 build 8C154 /w Apple TV software 4.1.1
XBMC Build version and date compiled: XBMC PRE-11.0 Git:20110903-c1d2bb6 (Compiled: Sep 3 2011)
Install Method: as described here
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...htly_build

But more specifically
a.) Official build installed from NitoTV/Cydia
b.) Then installed nightly build according to instructions in that link (ssh'd, wget, dpkg, rm)
FULL Debug Log:
xbmc.log http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/682213/
syslog http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/682209/
crashreport http://pastebin.com/0tfnPQri
MediaInfo http://pastebin.com/5kQNUEHA

Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem: Enter XBMC, Select Videos, Select UPNP Media server, Select any MKV--> Crash. See previous post if you need absolutely more detail.

GUI Problems (Navigation, Finding options, Setup, Labels, etc): None as far as I am aware.
Skin: Standard installed, no modifications; Confluence
Playback Problems: See MediaInfo output

..hope that's good.
Sep 4 17:06:34 Apple-TV AppleTV[27]: AppleTV(27,0xcc6b000) malloc: *** error for object 0xca67000: pointer being freed was not allocated\n*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Sep 4 17:06:34 Apple-TV com.apple.frontrow[27]: AppleTV(27,0xcc6b000) malloc: *** error for object 0xca67000: pointer being freed was not allocated
Sep 4 17:06:34 Apple-TV com.apple.frontrow[27]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Sep 4 17:06:35 Apple-TV ReportCrash[79]: Formulating crash report for process AppleTV[27]

00:06:31 T:175210496 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: MPEG-2 video

00:06:31 T:214347776 DEBUG: OutputPicture - change configuration. 720x405. framerate: 29.97. format: YV12

Something is being free'ed that was not allocated, 0xca67000 looks like a valid address.

But is was not an MKV, it was an mpeg.

00:06:27 T:145199104 DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers(http://REMOVED/mymedia-REMOVED/1-mymedia-REMOVED.mpg)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 - XBMC Crashes with large .mkv files0