New to XBMC
Hello everyone. I am stopping buy since I am looking for a solution to play media all through out my house. I have been using LCME and think I want to go another route. There is so much information on this site and I do not know where to begin. If some one could point and guide me that would be great. This is what I would like.

Be able to play media off my NAS located in Comm closet. Have some Set top or HTPC at each tv. Be able to play music thru small device or tuner in Garage, kitchen, outside, etc.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
lots of general info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbmc

TC Nod
The Quick Start Guide would probably also be of use.
Thanks everyone I am reading as fast as I can. Looks like this will do exactly what I want.
Hello,

I too am currently with LMCE but considering a shift. I'm trying to shift my mindset, so firstly, sorry for hijacking the thread (although I suspect we will both have similar questions ad I thought it would be silly to start a second thread) and also for lots of seemingly odd enquiries!

First up, am I correct in thinking that XBMC is a single-system solution? In other words, if I install it in various places around my home, will each of them maintain it's own database etc (as I suspect) or can they share one on some kind of central server?

I like the DVR functionality of MCE, but don't want all the HA and VoIP stuff. I see XBMC can link to Myth. Should I set up Myth first, then add XBMC, or start with XBMC and integrate Myth later?

I like the "Orbiter" (remote) approach with MCE, whereby just about any portable device from a phone to a dedicated tablet can act as a controller. Are there similar solutions for XBMC?

Has anyone successfully implemented a PXE-boot XBMC device?

I have searched, but somehow can't find the right terms to get the answers from the Wiki ;-)

TIA
Quote:First up, am I correct in thinking that XBMC is a single-system solution?
You can have a single mysql db. I havent started with that yet, not sure it is 100% turn-key.

Quote:I like the DVR functionality of MCE, but don't want all the HA and VoIP stuff. I see XBMC can link to Myth. Should I set up Myth first, then add XBMC
If you will have it on a single box, probably set up myth first since that is much more complex. Or better, start with xbmc on main box and then learn myth on a second test box.

Quote:Has anyone successfully implemented a PXE-boot XBMC device
There is a packaged solution for this. search the forum.
extremeshannon Wrote:Hello everyone. I am stopping buy since I am looking for a solution to play media all through out my house. I have been using LCME and think I want to go another route. There is so much information on this site and I do not know where to begin. If some one could point and guide me that would be great. This is what I would like.

Be able to play media off my NAS located in Comm closet. Have some Set top or HTPC at each tv. Be able to play music thru small device or tuner in Garage, kitchen, outside, etc.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Start off with XBMC-Live. It will let you kick the tires and see just how awesome XBMC is:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live
what is LMCE?
LinuxMCE is a branch from a product called Pluto. It brings together Myth, VDR, Asterix, MAME and a few other systems to produce a complete media-centric Home Automation solution based on Kubuntu.

It's VERY cool, but is (IMHO) suffering at the moment due to the number of key devs involved. Trying to keep up with updates to all the projects it depends on (including Kubuntu) as well as hardware developments is proving challenging.

For my part, I have recently moved to the US and have AT&T's U-Verse installed. I am in a rented house, so need to use the AT&T network, which MCE struggles with. Also, I'm not (at the moment) interested in anything other than the Media stuff, so I reckon Myth and / or XBMC may be a better fit.

HTH
oh yeah, i saw that when I was figuring out what I wanted to run..... i didn't like the interface but yeah it seemed like it had a lot of options....
I am trying to to get my XBMC + MythBox working....
I have it setup... i got the backed running on my ubuntu server but when I connect to it the live TV is choppy. If I run the mythfront end directly on my ubuntu server the TV is smooth.
Can't quite figure it out.... all machines are Dualcore, my network is GB Ethernet so it can't be anything hardware related.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to XBMC0