MKV playback fine in VLC but strange in XBMC?
Hi all,

So this weird problem has popped up lately, and I don't know what the cause is. My setup is as follows: HTPC which has XBMC and is also used to rip BR to .mkv via mkvmerge, which are all placed on my unRaid server and streamed from there. Before I had the server, I just put the files on an external HDD attached to the HTPC.

Now the issue - when I try to play back certain of these .mkvs in XBMC, there is extreme discoloration and distortion every time a camera angle changes, or the picture quickly changes from one view to another. It is almost looks like a video card problem or a problem with the mkvs themselves, or at least is what I would guess if it was all consistent. However, 2 things stump me as to what the problem is -

1) If these files are played using VLC player, they play completely fine. However they also do NOT play right using MPC-HC, it's the same as within XBMC. This makes me think it's not a hardware/streaming issue or problem with the mkv, and is a problem with something in XBMC/MPC-HC

2) It seems to only happen to files that were ripped after my server was set up, but not to ALL of them, just some. I have a pretty small sample size, but I would say I ripped about 30 movies to the external, 0 of which have issues anywhere, and ripped about 15 directly to the server, 6-7 of which have this problem. This would make me think there was a problem with Makemkv or my server, but again since VLC plays them fine, I'm confused.

Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.
Gigem Wrote:Hi all,

So this weird problem has popped up lately, and I don't know what the cause is. My setup is as follows: HTPC which has XBMC and is also used to rip BR to .mkv via mkvmerge, which are all placed on my unRaid server and streamed from there. Before I had the server, I just put the files on an external HDD attached to the HTPC.

Now the issue - when I try to play back certain of these .mkvs in XBMC, there is extreme discoloration and distortion every time a camera angle changes, or the picture quickly changes from one view to another. It is almost looks like a video card problem or a problem with the mkvs themselves, or at least is what I would guess if it was all consistent. However, 2 things stump me as to what the problem is -

1) If these files are played using VLC player, they play completely fine. However they also do NOT play right using MPC-HC, it's the same as within XBMC. This makes me think it's not a hardware/streaming issue or problem with the mkv, and is a problem with something in XBMC/MPC-HC

2) It seems to only happen to files that were ripped after my server was set up, but not to ALL of them, just some. I have a pretty small sample size, but I would say I ripped about 30 movies to the external, 0 of which have issues anywhere, and ripped about 15 directly to the server, 6-7 of which have this problem. This would make me think there was a problem with Makemkv or my server, but again since VLC plays them fine, I'm confused.

Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.

If you can provide a debug log while the video is playing and showing the problem then one of the Dev's might be able to help. Also if you can provide a small sample of the video where the problem occurs, I will be able to test and see if the same thing happens in my XBMC beast Wink.

Regards,
EG.
Debug log here: http://pastebin.com/iGCC4AVD - just fired up XBMC, watched Apollo 13 (some of it) saw the problem, and exited.

I've also been trying to eliminate possibilities by trying different things, but am still ultimately confused. Here is what I found out though:

- If I rip the mkv directly to the HTPC's HD, it still messes up in MPC-HC/XBMC (so it is not a streaming/unRaid issue)

- If I play the same mkvs that give errors on my desktop PC in either XBMC or MPC-HC, they do NOT mess up.

This to me would easily point towards a hardware issue with my HTPC, but the problems with that are 1) them working in VLC, 2) other mkv's, even like the graphics intensive Avatar, play fine without a hitch, 3) my hardware seems fairly common for an HTPC build and shouldn't be some weird problem (i3 w/ integrated GPU, SSD HD, etc.)

The only other thing I could think of is that there is some issue with the embedded video type of these files that is not playing nice with this HTPC, or that the 720p display my HTPC is outputting to is somehow causing these problems in the programs. Anyways, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

FWIW, the blu-rays I'm experiencing the problems on so far (I need to go check them all) are Apollo 13, Toy Story 3, Fight Club, The Universe (TV Show), and Inglorious Basterds to a lesser extent.
Bump, any ideas? :confused2:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV playback fine in VLC but strange in XBMC?0