Wrestling with Chinavasion IR Reciever
Hello Everybody,

I've been trying to set up my HTPC on a budget for a little bit now, and I'm wondering if there was a way to configure the receiver for the Chinavasion CVSB-983 remote to receiver IR signals from other remotes, and possibly have them register with a program like EventGhost or WinLirc so I can map them to run XBMC smoothly.

It's my hope that I can the remote from my LG TV to control the PC when in a certain mode (Neither STB nor VCR are being used so...)
I find my remote is much more comfortable (and less likely to fall apart) in my hands.

I'm running Windows XP sp3 at the moment, so even trashing the thing and picking up a MCE remote doesn't seem like much help, especially since I really would like to use the LG remote primarily.

P.S. I searched around, but the information on both the CVSB-983 and using TV remotes with EventGhost are deceptively scarce.

P.P.S.
This Post revealed that "this IR receiver identifies it self as an mouse and keyboard." (kaistian)
Maybe there is a way to apply homebrew drivers so that it would pick up other remotes?
Shinkei13 Wrote:Hello Everybody,

I've been trying to set up my HTPC on a budget for a little bit now, and I'm wondering if there was a way to configure the receiver for the Chinavasion CVSB-983 remote to receiver IR signals from other remotes,

Not really. The device registers itself as a keyboard/mouse and beyond that there's nothing you can do with it. It's also a real cheap (crap) remote. Frankly I wouldn't bother with it. Get yourself a winlirc receiver, then you can use any remote you want. There are a few good USB ones you can buy. Or if you are feeling adventurous you could always make your own.
WinLIRC, the Windows port of LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control):
http://winlirc.sourceforge.net
Active development of the WinLIRC package:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winlirc/
LIRC config files for supported remote controls:
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/
Yeah, I guess it was too much to hope for that it would wok even somewhat decently.

My other alternative is to get a USB IR Toy, which is cheaply priced at around $20 (or find out how to build one). At least this one has some support. (Edit: And now with the easily googled WinLIRC support!)

Is the "TV Remote"-to-"XBMC Remote" part of my plan feasible at least? Or should I get over myself and just get a Harmony remote like everybody else?
(Sarcasm, the Harmony is actually really awesome albeit expensive.)
Get a Harmony remote like everybody else (preferably with a Microsoft receiver).

Unless you're one of the few people who think life isn't too short.

JR
I bought a Chinavision remote for use with XBMC, being on a budget, but it was the wrong way to go. It worked in Windoze, but not in Live. Also, I couldn't get this programmed into my Harmony 785. There was a Painful delay between key presses.

I say do it once, do it right. Get a MCE compliant remote, either HP or Microsoft, with the IR-Blaster receiver. Once you have this, there's no mucking around with XML files or Lirc, unless you wish to customize.

I recomment spending the money for the better remote as I did. You won't regret it.Wink
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wrestling with Chinavasion IR Reciever0