Third Party Media Managers, Library Integrity and .NFO files
Hello chaps, first time poster here.

First off, let me just thank everyone that contributes to these forums. As a new user of XBMC and one who has a lot to learn, the information ive found here has been invaluable and indespensible, often given out by people who never get any thanks... so... thanks!

I installed XBMC for the first time about 3 weeks ago. While the initial learning curve of the basics is very easy going, the one in regards to the more advanced features, such as library organisation can be very daunting.

I've gotten to the point now where i am trying to organise and catalogue my media (specifically movies) and I have a few unanswered questions.

As i said, i do trawl the forum. There's a wealth of information out there, but as it turns out, that's actually a big part of my problem - most of it is severely out of date.

At the time of writing, its almost February 2011. Most of the 3rd party managers started their development in 2008-2009. Also, as far as i can understand, most have been discontinued too.

I really need something that helps me edit NFO files reliably without having to code them by hand (i cant code) and also to generate NFO files from information extracted from my XBMC library so that I can easily re-add movies in the future without having to scrape from the internet again.

I've tried Media Companion, which does so much, but has bugs. Specifically, i cant seem to edit actors in a movie. It also auto-scapes movies that i load into it and replaces their metadata. I dont always want this, sometimes i want to just edit the data that's already there, not replace it.

but the biggest problem with Media Companion is that its development appears to have halted. Did anyone else pick it up? Is it still being developed?

This really is a long post when it really didnt have to be, what I'm really trying to say is: I need help further organising my library. I know theres a lot of stuff out there but i dont know what's current, what's reliable and what i really should be using. None of the threads appear to be up to date.

Some of you guys are true experts, lend me some of your knowledge Huh?
Media Companion's latest release was 12/22/10, not that long ago really. http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/
If all your movies are in XBMC already, you can export the database into separate files - nfo and artwork.
Media Companion replaces metadata(posters?) - That's because you probably don't actually have the posters in the folder. Export it and MC will read the files in there and only replace if you tell it to.
-Good Luck
I am sort of in the same situation as you Smile I am browsing through here and trying to find a functional media manager. I tried media companion, but I also think it has some bugs and I didn't like the interface... Next on my list is ember manager revisited.

I really wanted a movie/tv show media manager for OS X, but it looks like there aren't much options =\ I would consider writing one myself, but at the moment I just don't have the time. Maybe when summer comes...
@dragomanjk

Thanks for taking the time to help out! I know its silly but i didnt know the export option was able to do that, and it's really helped me out.

@nmat

I have to admit ember was a pain to get started, but if you have troubles, the ember revisted thread is really helpful (if a little hard to hunt through). It appears to be worth it though.

it seems that both Ember and Media Companion can do some things that the other can't, so right now, strange as it sounds, im using both!

Thanks again fellas.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Third Party Media Managers, Library Integrity and .NFO files0