HDMI passthrough doesn't work on Dharma 10.0
Big Grin 
OK ... you will not believe this ... I'VE FIXED IT !!!! WHOOOOHOOOOOO !!!! EVEN IN DHARMA !!!

The idea came to me because of what Hoozel said about the HDMI handshake a few posts back. I didn't what to play with cables etc. But one thing that made me think was the edid.bin file I created in step one of this thread. This file was extracted with the nVidia driver when I had my unit directly connected to the Hitachi plasma and used ever since.

First things first. I've made an effort to study the format of the file using a HEX editor and the reference from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_di...ation_data ... decoding the file I saw that the screen only supported stereo sound (obviously). Then I started thinking, what if I edit the file and add all the features I wanted.

This is exactly what I've done. Downloaded the source and program from : http://sourceforge.net/projects/edideditor/ ...

Used it to open the edid.bin file I had already and added AC3 and DTS to it. I tried this edid file with XBMC 9.11, but it didn't work as I had hoped. Out of pure despiration I changed my xorg.conf file and commented the following two lines :

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "NoDDC"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/home/xbmc/edid2.bin"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
[color=green][b]#    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
#    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1920x1080_60_0 +0+0"[/b][/color]
    Option         "HWCursor" "Off"
    Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "False"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

First made sure I've got HDMI selected on all options in the Audio section, then restarted XBMC and ... IT WORKED !!! ... Nod ... it f-ing worked .... Not to stop there, I re-installed Dharma and made the same changes to it ... IT WORKS !!!!

If anybody out there could explain to me how changing video stuff can influence audio stuff and why this worked, I'll be very happy.
well the easiest way to have tested the sound passthrough would have been the following,

aplay -l

the last card is,

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

which has the following ID, "0,3"

Next step would have been to test the speakers output.
"speaker-test -Dplughw:0,3 -c6 -r19200 -FS32_LE"

this should send audio to all channels over HDMI.

If not enter alsamixer and unmute all S/PDIF ports by pressing "m" inside the alsamixer.

once that is done start XBMC and go to settings > settings>audio.
Audio Output: HDMI
enable DD/DTS

Audio output device: Custom / plughw:0,3
Passthrough output device: Custom / plughw:0,3

this should have done it without any special config.
And t
PeekNPoke Wrote:OK ... you will not believe this ... I'VE FIXED IT !!!! WHOOOOHOOOOOO !!!! EVEN IN DHARMA !!!

The idea came to me because of what Hoozel said about the HDMI handshake a few posts back. I didn't what to play with cables etc. But one thing that made me think was the edid.bin file I created in step one of this thread. This file was extracted with the nVidia driver when I had my unit directly connected to the Hitachi plasma and used ever since.

First things first. I've made an effort to study the format of the file using a HEX editor and the reference from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_di...ation_data ... decoding the file I saw that the screen only supported stereo sound (obviously). Then I started thinking, what if I edit the file and add all the features I wanted.

This is exactly what I've done. Downloaded the source and program from : http://sourceforge.net/projects/edideditor/ ...

Used it to open the edid.bin file I had already and added AC3 and DTS to it. I tried this edid file with XBMC 9.11, but it didn't work as I had hoped. Out of pure despiration I changed my xorg.conf file and commented the following two lines :

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "NoDDC"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/home/xbmc/edid2.bin"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
[color=green][b]#    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
#    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1920x1080_60_0 +0+0"[/b][/color]
    Option         "HWCursor" "Off"
    Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "False"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

First made sure I've got HDMI selected on all options in the Audio section, then restarted XBMC and ... IT WORKED !!! ... Nod ... it f-ing worked .... Not to stop there, I re-installed Dharma and made the same changes to it ... IT WORKS !!!!

If anybody out there could explain to me how changing video stuff can influence audio stuff and why this worked, I'll be very happy.

Holy Shit dude ! nice job !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI passthrough doesn't work on Dharma 10.00