Media Server/NAS + HTPC questions
ok lets just handle NAS build first...

since its gonna have to host FlexRAID on top of windows,
i strongly suggest using the AMD Athlon II X4 3.0GHz AM3 95W ($99) http://ow.ly/1rZF5r

why?
its $99 and its better than the PHENOM you chose regarding decompressing Archives..
and since your gonna run SABNZB ans stuff, it'll be better...

the PHENOM is better in the GAMING department...
eskro Wrote:ok lets just handle NAS build first...

since its gonna have to host FlexRAID on top of windows,
i strongly suggest using the AMD Athlon II X4 3.0GHz AM3 95W ($99) http://ow.ly/1rZF5r

why?
its $99 and its better than the PHENOM you chose regarding decompressing Archives..
and since your gonna run SABNZB ans stuff, it'll be better...

the PHENOM is better in the GAMING department...

Sounds very good
Another advantage of using FlexRaid is you can remove a drive, take it to a buddies to transfer files, bring it back and resync.

This it why I use FlexRaid over the others. My in-laws just got a media center and now I can take out one of my drives with new movies and transfer movies to their drives and grab any new movies they have and then just replace the drive and sync.

With any other RAID setup I would have to copy whatever files I wanted to transfer to an external drive first and then transfer back when I get home.
so NAS build could look like this...

(Extends up to 10 Hard Disk Drives)
[CPU] AMD Athlon II X4 3.0GHz AM3 95W ($105 + $0)
[RAM] Kingston HyperX 2 x 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 1333 CL7 ($62 + $0 - $25 MIR)
[MOBO] MSI 880GMA-E53 AM3 USB3.0 MicroATX ($100 + $8)
TOTAL: $250 After Mail-in-Rebates

now the case you bought can hold a total of 14 Hard Drives eventually...
but overall, that MSI motherboard will be a great buy for you!
has 6xSATAII + 2xSATAIII + 2xPCI Express x1 slots
overall, has great potential,,, at least 12 Hard Drives....

and that KINGSTON Ram is a very good deal!! DDR3 1333 CL7!!
mach170 Wrote:Another advantage of using FlexRaid is you can remove a drive, take it to a buddies to transfer files, bring it back and resync.

This it why I use FlexRaid over the others. My in-laws just got a media center and now I can take out one of my drives with new movies and transfer movies to their drives and grab any new movies they have and then just replace the drive and sync.

With any other RAID setup I would have to copy whatever files I wanted to transfer to an external drive first and then transfer back when I get home.

I hate that this has become the GO GO FLEXRAID thread, but another benefit is in the case of catastrophic failure, where you lose the parity drive and another drive, you simply lose the data on that one drive with the other drives being completely fine. Great stuff.

The build looks really good, and will be coming in basically right at 400$ with the 60GB SSD that I'll be using for the OS drive, which should give enough room for the OS and various ripping/streaming/downloading programs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Server/NAS + HTPC questions0