Best TV-Backend?
Im starting out from scratch so whats the best tv backend for xbmc under linux now?

criteria:
stability
speed for channel switching
epg-data
oscam-cam support
crystal-hd support
criteria:
stability
Mythtv

speed for channel switching
TvHeadEnd

epg-data
Mythtv or VDR if you used freesat uk otherwise any.

oscam-cam support
Any

crystal-hd support
Frontend specific

Other considerations may be:

Ease of set up
Tvheadend

Intelligent scheduling/rescheduling conflict resolution
Mythtv

Currently has most features implemented in XBMC
TVHeadend

if all you want to do is watch live tv and schedule the odd recording i would recomend tvheadend
if you want a 'full on' backend with season pass, conflict resolution, Mythtv is better

It is personal preference to which is 'best', you need to consider what you want from a backend read all the relevant websites and make an informed decision.
All Things PVR
since when is tvheadend unstable? it runs for weeks here without a single crash.

also, tvheadend support both in-signal epg and xmltv.

what dubstar_04 says, "best" is personal and you should have a look by yourself.
some info can be found on this wiki page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...BMC-PVR%29
it's not complete, but it does have links to the various backends' homepages.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
tvheadend seems linke a good start. I dont record that often, so using the extra webinterface would be ok.
For a start I can report back, that the AppleTV handles a 1080i Stream from my Dreambox DM800 with the CrystalHD like a charme. (atv with osx, crystalhd r174 driver, xbmc svn ca. 2 weeks ago)

Not that it would mean something but I think its a good sign for the use of atv1 with crystalhd as pvr.
dushmaniac Wrote:since when is tvheadend unstable? it runs for weeks here without a single crash.

also, tvheadend support both in-signal epg and xmltv.

what dubstar_04 says, "best" is personal and you should have a look by yourself.
some info can be found on this wiki page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...BMC-PVR%29
it's not complete, but it does have links to the various backends' homepages.

I never meant to imply that tvheadend was unstable. I also tried to make it clear that it was my personal experiences that was commenting on.

I think tvheadend is an excellent piece of software, however mythtv is more suited to my personal requirements.

I sincerely apologise as it was not my intention to discourage anyone from using tvheadend, in fact i would encourage it, especially for people new to linux and htpcs.
All Things PVR
ignore
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
can anyone guide me to the wiki/forum sites, with information which backend supports what features in xbmc?

I'm thinking about updating the wiki and/or a FAQ for the forum with an overview. However most information I can find is outdated or just not available.

Dont want to install every backend to find out?
there is no such thing. you'll have to try it out or look in the addon's code. the wiki page I linked in my earlier post has some links on it to available information.

more information is not there yet because pvr support is still under development, and so are the backend addons.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

Ok, I will start next week (when my USB-Sat-Adapter arrives) with tvheadend and maybe an yavdr installation in an vm.

Ive red up on tvheadend and vdr (with vnsi-server) so at least this two I will test for myself.

maybe Im superduper-bored (However I doubt that working in the news-biz and with a small child at home Wink ) and I also setting up mythtv also. since they all run on linux and rely on dvb-s driver most of the tricky driver related stuff is the same for them.

I thought about something like a feature/performance-Checklist for backend-support in xbmc-pvr in 2 parts:

XBMC-Plugin-Related
time to switch channel.
EPG-Data (Import is more Backend-Stuff)
Time-shifting (is that even integrated in XBMC yet)
Recording (imho doesnt work with any backend)

TV-Backend-Related
DVB-EPG-Data
XMLTV-EPG-Data
Encrypted Channel-Support
Easy of installation/configuration

Any more input for the feature-checklist?

My specific project will be using my appletv as xbmc-pvr all-in-one-thingi, so maybe some things are not standard (e.g. sticking to old Nvidia-Drivers for HDMI-Audio and a patched kernel.
windows backend soln....

tv scheduler pro is very stable and super easy to use. Its no frills but has functionality for repeat scheduling and post run tasks etc and its FREE!. it runs as a windows service and so very reliably wakes up computer from hibernate to start capture

combine with xmltv epg data and its just too easy

whats more ive written an XBMC addon to offer basic control of TV scheduler pro. livetv is not supported but who needs that...i have a tv that does that 10 times better than running over a network

theres not too many other windows backend options and the few that exist are more complicated to set up and configure

ive been up and running for years now and will stick with tv scheduler pro until its no longer supported under windows. works on win7 64bit for now.
mcan Wrote:livetv is not supported but who needs that...i have a tv that does that 10 times better than running over a network
you do know in what section of the forum you're posting, don't you?
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

my usb sat thingi arrived today, horray for amazon.de Wink

I'll have a try with just installing tvheadend and xbmc-pvr on the crystalbuntu install on my appletv on the weekend.
I'd really like to use XBMC for everything, also for watching TV, but I'm still missing a backend implementing timeshift. I know there is initial support for timeshift on windows-pvr branch using the mediaPortal TV-Server as backend - but this timeshift currently only supports "pause/play" - you can't seek within your timeshift buffer - and that's something I absolutely need. Does anybody have a currently working recommendation for that?
IMHO Timeshift is currently not in focus cause there are other things to do (code cleanup, merging, ...)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best TV-Backend?0