[ATV2] Volume control with remote not working
Hi

Been using the official XMBC android remote and an iPhone XBMC remote, neither are controlling the volume, I can see the volume slider on my TV go up and down as I press the volume buttons on the remote but the actual audio doesn't decrease/increase.

Can volume be adjusted in XBMC?

Thanks
I have the same problem. It will probably be fixed in a later build. Just wait
ATV2Gen only output digital audio signal, so we can't control volume. You can control your amp or TV volume.
That is right:
Digital output (as all outputs are with the new ATV2) do not carry db information. So the receiving device (receiver, TV, Soundbar...) is the device to amplify the signal with the right volume.

There won't be any chance that you can chance the volume with the ATV remote.

Buy a "all in one" - remote and learn it the apple remote for all buttons except the volume buttons (which you give it the receiver codes).
Kaiserlein Wrote:That is right:
Digital output (as all outputs are with the new ATV2) do not carry db information. So the receiving device (receiver, TV, Soundbar...) is the device to amplify the signal with the right volume.

There won't be any chance that you can chance the volume with the ATV remote.

Buy a "all in one" - remote and learn it the apple remote for all buttons except the volume buttons (which you give it the receiver codes).

Although this is true - digital outputs do not carry db information, there is nothing stopping software based digital volume control.

Yes it won't work for bitsreamed output as you can't mess with the bits of an encoded stream, but for all audio decoded to PCM volume control should be possible.

There's even an option within XBMC to boost volume when downmixed, (not sure if it works on IOS devices), which would indicate there is some level of digital volume control already in place.

In regards to the suggestion of buying an "all-in-one" remote, that's not always the best solution when one is not in line-of sight of their equipment.

If made functional this would be very beneficial for those that what to use smart devices (ipod touch, iphone, ipad, android handsets etc) to control the whole system (no need for two remotes).

I personally believe not having built in volume control as standard on the AppleTV2 is one of Apples biggest mistakes. Had they included it they would have been in a great position to take on the likes of Sonus in the whole home media market.
kDolphin Wrote:ATV2Gen only output digital audio signal, so we can't control volume. You can control your amp or TV volume.

On XBMC Live in fact it is possible to adjust the volume, even over S/PDIF (on an Acer Aspire Revo R3610), so basically it should be possible on ATV 2, too, or am I wrong?
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
It should be possible, not sure why people are saying just because it's digital that you can't control the volume.
Fully agree.

The problem in case of ATV 2 could be that there is no volume control at all in the standard iOS.
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
Bobby Blixberg Wrote:Fully agree.

The problem in case of ATV 2 could be that there is no volume control at all in the standard iOS.

Hello,

I do not agree with you, with my Apple Remote Ipad arrive perfectly adjust the volume of the Apple TV 2 ditto for XBMC on my HTPC via spdif.
Using rapier qualar mod on ATV2 - volume control on apple remote doesn't work directly, but you can go into the control settings to down mix the volume. So must be doable! When ye have kids using the apple remote all the time, would be very very handy!
volume control is a known issue on atv2.
For my already bought setup ->

at2v->DAC/amplifier-> speakers

its essential i could control the volume in xbmc, this has always been possible in other versions so I assumed it would be possible in atv2s version too.

I cannot reach the amplifier since the DAC/ampliefier unit is built into a wall.

Is there any view on volume control on the atv2 version of xbmc?
It will be possible with the new AudioEngine which is developed behind the scenes. But only for non passthrough signals. No ETA when this will be finished though.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Kaiserlein Wrote:Buy a "all in one" - remote and learn it the apple remote for all buttons except the volume buttons (which you give it the receiver codes).

Better advice would be to do the reverse, and have the ATV2 learn commands from an existing remote. This has been a feature since the ATV1. Just use something like an aux setting with any profile/code, and train the ATV2 in the settings (settings for the ATV2 itself, not in the XBMC settings).
Any updates on this issue? Are we any closer to volume control in ATV2?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Volume control with remote not working0