Anyone vouch for the Zotac nd-22
I have noticed it is supposed to be a step up from atom boxes and I was hoping to get some questions answered. I want netflix and hulu to rum on my xbmc box, preferably via the addons within xbmc. Does anyone have experience with this.

If not could someone suggest an alternative in that price range? I've never built a computer but I'm willing to try. My requirements are, 1)netflix, 2)hulu, 3)night skin, 4) not hot, 5)not loud. This box does not need wireless, optical disc drive, or gig lan. I would like to stick it inside of a cabinet so heat is a concern. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I have the ND22 and it is very nice. You'll have to manually change the fan speed to Quiet or 50%, but other than that I really like it and it is much faster than the boxes that are Atom-based. If you're sticking it in a cabinet you might want leave the fan setting as is (auto), or set it to Medium or 75% speed.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
+1 for Zotac nd-22
-1 on the ND22

I've been playing with the su2300 processor and have just found out that it doesn't do speedtest

I'm feeling Angry
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Subliminal Aura Wrote:-1 on the ND22

I've been playing with the su2300 processor and have just found out that it doesn't do speedtest

I'm feeling Angry
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I presume you mean SpeedStep? This is not a notebook where you're trying to maximize battery life, it's a nettop that you'll be using as an HTPC. Regardless, the SU2300 still does voltage scaling to improve power efficiencies, it just doesn't scale down the clock speed.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Yeah I read the thread on voltage scaling ... We'll get to that bit as soon as I've stripped ubuntu down to a simple upstart / init -> fluxbox -> xbmc. Then take detailed energy readings.

Also some of us intend to run these 24/7 as a NAS/sickbeard/home monitoring box hence the concerns on power consumption.
Subliminal Aura Wrote:Also some of us intend to run these 24/7 as a NAS/sickbeard/home monitoring box hence the concerns on power consumption.
In that case I'd probably recommend an Atom D525 or Zacate.
MidnightWatcher Wrote:In that case I'd probably recommend an Atom D525 or Zacate.

Which do you think is better on power consumption. There are conflicting reports on Zacate power consumption plus no hardware acceleration under linux for Zacate

Also look at these figures which seem to suggest that the SUV is the power king

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asro...40-13.html
Probably the best thread I've come across

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vie...13&t=60672
Definitely bet its pretty good since my mag nd01 with the atom is playing x264 1080p rips perfect!
Subliminal Aura Wrote:Which do you think is better on power consumption. There are conflicting reports on Zacate power consumption plus no hardware acceleration under linux for Zacate

Also look at these figures which seem to suggest that the SUV is the power king

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asro...40-13.html
If Linux is important I would go with something ION-based for now. As far as power consumption is concerned, if you're using a nettop they're all comparable imho. A few watts isn't going to make or break anyone.
MidnightWatcher Wrote:I presume you mean SpeedStep? This is not a notebook where you're trying to maximize battery life, it's a nettop that you'll be using as an HTPC. Regardless, the SU2300 still does voltage scaling to improve power efficiencies, it just doesn't scale down the clock speed.

BTW I did undervolt the board and only got a saving of a couple of watts - Unfortunately it had the unwanted side effect whereby the machine wouldn't resume fully from suspension.

Also the bios does in fact allow you to under clock the cpu frequency - I'll try this with the undervolt - hopefully that will solve the STR issue.

My biggest headache at the moment is that I can't get DPMS working. The monitor just doesn't want to go to sleep :mad:
MidnightWatcher Wrote:If Linux is important I would go with something ION-based for now. As far as power consumption is concerned, if you're using a nettop they're all comparable imho. A few watts isn't going to make or break anyone.

No it's all good - I've got power consumption down to 20W idle(coupled with a pico PSU) if only I can get DPMS or the video chipset to switch off - it'll take the whole thing down to 12-13W Shocked but alas I don't think it's possible
Question 
MidnightWatcher Wrote:I have the ND22 and it is very nice. You'll have to manually change the fan speed to Quiet or 50%, but other than that I really like it and it is much faster than the boxes that are Atom-based. If you're sticking it in a cabinet you might want leave the fan setting as is (auto), or set it to Medium or 75% speed.

Where do I set this speed? In the bios? In which section?

TIA

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone vouch for the Zotac nd-220