• 7(current)
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday?
Thumbs Up 
nate12o6 Wrote:How hard would it be to port xbmc to 360 being that the 360 has backwards compatability? Or does that not even matter?

Just currious. Thanks

Perhaps I am completely misunderstood the posible uses of this, but shouldn't that XNA thing allow an X360MC?

I mean, this:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press...orsPR.mspx

Rolleyes :confused2:
no.
It's not posibble? It's said, you can make "backups" with the DVD hack but you can't run unsignned code? I didn't know it...
xbmc is written in c++.

xna is c# only and does not allow network access
Well all this is a major bummer - so can anyone forsee a workaround or way xbmc or a similar app could be written for 360? All of which would be unessesary if M$ didnt screw everyone and only allow you to stream wmv crap. At this stage for xbmc apps on next gen consoles the phony PS3 is looking the better bet as it allows linux...but shelling out $600...i dont know about that.
You can stream just about anything. Just needs to be transcoded on the fly.

Also what's wrong with XBMC on Xbox1? Wink
ultrabrutal Wrote:You can stream just about anything. Just needs to be transcoded on the fly.

Also what's wrong with XBMC on Xbox1? Wink

No HDMI/DVI.

I just purchased a new TV and want to use HDMI. There are other boxes out there now that do the same (although poorly in comparison) that I would deerly love to see XBMC run on - may even give the developers a chance to make some money out of their hard work.

Mick
The Xbox360 doesn't have DVI/HDMI either? Actually they both use Component. Only difference is that Xbox360 supports(?) 1080p where Xbox1 only supports 1080i. I bet you will notice that XBMC with 720p component output outperforms your stateoftheart dvd player using hdmi and 480p...

XBMC uses alot of open source. You cannot sell it afaik, only charge for support for it. Read the license agreements
I have several modded original Xbox's-but had never bothered to hook them up to my Plasma display using the original Xbox HD adapter. Bought a 42" LCD for my bedroom TV over Christmas and hooked it in my rec room while I modified the built-in book-shelves in the bedroom. I am amazed at the quality of the original xbox and XBMC on the LCD TV using the HD settings with the original HD Xbox component video cables & audio digitally connected to my receiver.

I now also have a new Xbox 360-unmodded. The Xbox 360 using HD cables (component) was awful, the straight AVI connection was actually better. The best input in terms of quality on the 360 was through the VGA connection to the LCD TV set at the highest possible supported resolution-1280x768.
For some unknown reason the component video was distorted using the Xbox 360 HD cable.
My cable set-top box uses the only HDMI connection on this new HDTV & I'm not sure the quality on the HD channels was that much different from the quality of the HD component connection to the old xbox.
Quality of display depends on a number of factors-HDMI or DVI may not necessarily give you the best picture over component video-it depends on how the particular interface works with your particular HDTV.

Certainly XBMC at 720p gives an awesome display-better than the DVD resolution that I have been content with for years. I'm not sure as to the future-but right now a modded original Xbox #1 using XBMC is certainly a viable alternative to a Media Center PC & Xbox 360.

P.S. I now have the new Xbox HD-DVD player (still in the box)-as I want to see for myself the difference in quality between 720p and 1080p.

I also have used a 2005 Media Center computer for 2 years-using as a music server-certainly not convinced that it is that much better-if at all-over XBMC.
Girls, sorry but I've had my head in the sand box in the back yard. What's the latest on beating the security of the XBOX 360?

I just got a 46" LCD HDTV (gloat!) and I wanna see at least 720P! I hope you programmer geeks can find us a newer alternative HW solution for XBMC, soon! I LOVE XBMC!! I have 5 Xbox's in my house all with XBMC.

My petty 2 cents says forget a computer solution. Don't wanna deal with HD video card config and driver compatibility not to mention the rest of the HW.

Dogk1cker
"watch it, or I'll come over and kick your dog!"
it should be obvious, but the Xbox 360 has not been hacked in any substantial way yet. The media detection scheme on the DVD drive has been successfully hacked, so if you are able to patch your DVD drive and then copy, patch, and burn games, you can play burned copies of games the same as originals. That is all.
Catchy Signature Here
It's worth noting that the Xbox 360 is like a prototype of the "trusted/treacherous computing" initiativem, prob MS's first consumer foray in that area (other than vista). Hypervisor, TPM, etc...
If xbmc would ever be ported to xbox360, what advantages will it give over the current xbmc?

p.s. I don't have an xbox360!
way more ram (64meg vs 512meg)
way more processing power (1x 733 celeron vs 3x 3.2 PPC cores)
more mature and featurefull xdk

problems are
new architecture (x64 vs PowerPC)
processor supports in order execution only
ITS NOT HACKED (YET?)
Loto_Bak Wrote:ITS NOT HACKED (YET?)

It is now. :-)

Still won't help with the whole x86 vs. ppc problem. Although mplayer itself should already work on the new platform there will surely be issues with its video output which will require yet one more driver to be written. Undecided

Feels like it would be easier to start a new project from scratch... starting with getting mplayer working, adding simple directory browsing and working from there.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday?3