[ATV1] No Dolby Digital with older Yamaha receiver
I have come across a stange problem. I have a 10 year old Dolby Digital capable Yamaha RX-V992 that for some reason does not playback Dolby Digital (AC3) encoded material via XBMC Dharma 10.0. I have the ATV connected via the optical output. Dolby Digital sound works during the ATV startup splash and when I playback files via the standard ATV interface. However all AC3 material played back via XBMC does not work (no sound). I do however get navigation sounds and get stereo sound when I switch to a stereo audio track. The receiver works perfectly with the same cable with a DVD player and AC3 content. I have tried both full video_ts ripped DVDs and Handbrake encoded m4v files with the same result (no sound in XBMC). And in one case the exact same file plays fine through the standard ATV interface but has no sound via XBMC. I should also note that I have (3) ATVs and have the same result on all 3 and that using XBMC on a ATV works fine with (2) different Onkyo and a HK receiver. Any ideas on why XBMC doesn't work with my Yamaha or how I could get it to work? Thanks.

Jay
Yeah, I have a Yamaha R-V1103 10+ old receiver and I have the same issue. I reported it some time ago and there was even a trac ticket for it too. I was also told in one of the threads there was issues with some older Yamaha (and I think Sony) receivers so I just let it die.

All not lost though as running the linux sticks (Crystalbuntu or OpenElec) fixes the AC3 issue, at least on my reciever (and DTS to AC3 works as well). Give one of those methods a try and as an added benefit you get faster menu's!
It's not a real hardship for me because I use this receiver mostly for music. I don't want to use Linux because I use the native ATV OS for music. It is however inconvenient because I when I do want to watch a video I get no sound and then have to manually switch to the another (stereo) audio track (if there is one). It doesn't bother me that much because I know how to do it, but I'm sure no one else in my family would know how to do it.

It appears from the trac ticket that it is was thought that it would be fixed in version 9.1. Maybe the developers didn't/don't have a way to test it. I would be willing to test any potential fixes if that would help. Thanks for the great product.

Jay
Hi Guys,
I am having exactly the same problem with my ATV (MacOS) and a Sony SDP-ED9 Digital Signal Prcessor. Has there been any solution found yet to get the AC3 signal properly decoded?
Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1] No Dolby Digital with older Yamaha receiver0