install on boxee box?
I am thinking about buying me a boxee box.
I tried boxee and xbmc on my linux box here and find xbmc to have a lot more possibilities and it looks a lot nicer.
So I would like to install it on the boxee box.
Is this possible at all?
Is there a howto to do that?
Has somebody here had success in doing that?
I would not suggest buying a Boxee Box to run XBMC. I don't think its going to happen. If you want to run both programs I would suggest using a custom computer or ion box and then use both programs. You can use the Advanced Launcher Application to launch Boxee from the home menu. Then when you close Boxee it will automatically reopen XBMC.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
htpc guy Wrote:I would not suggest buying a Boxee Box to run XBMC. I don't think its going to happen. If you want to run both programs I would suggest using a custom computer or ion box and then use both programs. You can use the Advanced Launcher Application to launch Boxee from the home menu. Then when you close Boxee it will automatically reopen XBMC.

was just about to buy one.... till i read this and the same elsewhere...
this seriously should have figured out how to get another os on that thing way before it launched..... rip xbmc code and then not support it on your device.... f*** you.... now i have to go buy a something else.
thank for the info tho!
RYAN03
It's not really Boxee's fault that XBMC doesn't run on it... at least, not to my knowledge. The more pressing problem is that none of the current XBMC devs have a lot of interest in trying to get XBMC to run on it. At the moment, XBMC runs on Windows, OSX, iOS, and about a million different flavors of Linux. Not to mention the fact that we're talking with Sigma to get System on Chip support. The simple fact is that we're starting to get stretched pretty thin and now porting to the boxee box would stretch us even thinner.

With that said, while none of the current devs want to make the unpaid effort to do the conversion, if any coding-minded users wanted to make the attempt, they are more than welcome.
Actually, it is Boxee's fault, in that they decided to follow the content owners demands for a closed off box - and thus have a signed image that it boots from, so you cannot change it without the ability to re-sign the image. i.e. you have to hack the box in order to run anything on it other than Boxee.

Team XBMC have never been interested in "cracking" boxes, this is the main reason we don't have an interest in the Boxee box.

We feel the same as the rest of you about the situation.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

natethomas Wrote:IThe simple fact is that we're starting to get stretched pretty thin and now porting to the boxee box would stretch us even thinner.

With that said, while none of the current devs want to make the unpaid effort to do the conversion, if any coding-minded users wanted to make the attempt, they are more than welcome.

let me be clear that i firmly believe that xbmc devs shouldnt do crap... boxee devs could whip up patches themselves since there selling the shit. how long could it really take, its the least they could do...

there actually pretty cheap for box + remote nowadays, xbmc would be nice.
there is no way im purchasing it if i have to run boxee, social networking on my tv....lol i think not.
oh well sad story from them.

ps / cant even download the deb from them if noscript blocks facebook......
good job...fail
RYAN03
jmarshall Wrote:Actually, it is Boxee's fault, in that they decided to follow the content owners demands for a closed off box - and thus have a signed image that it boots from, so you cannot change it without the ability to re-sign the image. i.e. you have to hack the box in order to run anything on it other than Boxee.

Ahh, well there you go. I stand corrected.
I would ask Boxee to remove the XBMC logo because anyone that uses Boxess must think XBMC sucks as well just saying.

Boxee started off good but they just ruin the XBMC software for their own purposes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
install on boxee box?0