Added second HDD to ION-330HT - but it's too loud!!
I've added a second disk (500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue) to my ION-330HT.

After switching the box back on, the machine is really noisy.

I've tried each disk seperatly and the noise is fine with just one disk, so it's not the new disk I've added - it's a combonation of the two.

I suspect that I could lower the fan speeds in the BIOS but preumably they are runnig on High because BIOS has registered a second disk.

Would I fry the contents of my box by dropping the fan speeds?

What are your suggestions on how to run two disks without increased noise from the fans. I can allow for some noise increase but, it's seriously loud with two.

I'm thnking of sending the 500GB disk back and going for a single 1TB disk. But the documentation says the box only supports disk size of 500GB.

Would a 1TB be OK? As the the noise with two disks is unbearable.

BTW I have the original 320GB installed but ran out og space and need more storage.
Are you sure it's fan noise?

I had a problem a couple of years ago where the vibrations from multiple drives locked phase, making the case hum really loudly. Was really annoying, but not much I could do about it!
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
numb7rs Wrote:Are you sure it's fan noise?

I had a problem a couple of years ago where the vibrations from multiple drives locked phase, making the case hum really loudly. Was really annoying, but not much I could do about it!

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah pretty sure its the fan.

Got me questioning it now. I'll check when I get home and post back.

Thanks
If you find that it is the drives and not the fan it could be worth looking in to acoustic management for them (aam).

It helped hush my drives.
1TB shoud be fine. I have a 640Gb disk in my 330ht
Guys,

I set the BIOS Fan level to Ultra silent. It's made a HUGE difference.

So, will this fry the contents of my box?
I have the asrock Ion 330HT With two 320GB drives installed, Its overclocked to 2ghz and is set to ultra silent. I also replaced the stock cpu fan with a titan 30 cm fan and its near silent. Heat does not seem to be an issue though this may change once summer arrives.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
For me the, 50mm fan to the rear of the box is the culprit.

I'd really like to be able to run two drives and have the fan setting as "Auto" in BIOS to rule cooking my components.

It seems a Fractal Design 3500 RPM Silent Series Cooling Fan may be the answer (there seems to be plenty of others available).

If anyone has a recommendation for a different 50mm fan, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
general_lee Wrote:For me the, 50mm fan to the rear of the box is the culprit.

I'd really like to be able to run two drives and have the fan setting as "Auto" in BIOS to rule cooking my components.

It seems a Fractal Design 3500 RPM Silent Series Cooling Fan may be the answer (there seems to be plenty of others available).

If anyone has a recommendation for a different 50mm fan, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

This might help you: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90542
Larry_Lobster Wrote:This might help you: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90542

Thanks, I added the fractal Design Silent Series fan.

It's still too noisy on Auto.

I'm running in Normal mode at the moment. Which is fine.

Thanks,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Added second HDD to ION-330HT - but it's too loud!!0