ATV shared Thumbnails
I've a setup with multiple client and a central MySQL db on a NAS (QNAP) where also movies and tv shows are stored.

The question is which is the best way to centralize also posters/fanart?

I've tried symlink and it's working fine but I don't know auto to create a permament symlink to a smb share in the ATV.

After that I've read also about the pathsubstitution setting in the advancedstettings.xml file, but I cannot make it work....

any suggestions?
I'm trying to add smb share that point to my nas folder containing thumbnails but it's working only if i manually mount the share. It doesn't mount after reboot.

I'm following this guide:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Mount_a_R..._via_SMBFS

everything works until point 1.7

anyone was able to automount smb share at startup in atv (i'll create then a symlink to the Thumbnails folder)Huh

Thanks in advance
anyone can help?
You have any luck? Trying a similar thing.
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
Thumbs Up 
matbor Wrote:You have any luck? Trying a similar thing.

yep solved installing nitotv after installing samba support on atv

With nito I've configured to mount a shared folder on my nas and also checked to automount at reboot....

after that I've simply configured a symlink for the thumbnails folder Big Grin
^tWiSt^ Wrote:yep solved installing nitotv after installing samba support on atv

With nito I've configured to mount a shared folder on my nas and also checked to automount at reboot....

after that I've simply configured a symlink for the thumbnails folder Big Grin

thx.

any chance you can write up a step by step on howto do this for dummies ?
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
Sure:

1. Install Samba support on ATV
    Follow this guide until point "Load the Samba kernel extension" included
  2. Install NitoTV
    Download and follow the instructions

3. Configure SMB Mount Point on NitoTV
    Just configure the mount point to smb, and check the option to automatic mount
  4. Create a symlink for your shared thumbnails folder
    ssh to your atv
    cd /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails
    mv Thumbnails Thumbnails.old
    ln -s /path to your thumbnails mount point/ /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails
^tWiSt^ Wrote:Sure:

1. Install Samba support on ATV
    Follow this guide until point "Load the Samba kernel extension" included
  2. Install NitoTV
    Download and follow the instructions

3. Configure SMB Mount Point on NitoTV
    Just configure the mount point to smb, and check the option to automatic mount
  4. Create a symlink for your shared thumbnails folder
    ssh to your atv
    cd /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails
    mv Thumbnails Thumbnails.old
    ln -s /path to your thumbnails mount point/ /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails

Thanks for the guide. I managed to get the share and the link created but whenever I reboot, XBMC creates a blank Thumbnails folder. Do you have XBMC set to autostart or are you launching it from the ATV menu?

I also notice in your guide you leave the '/path to your thumbnails mount point/' empty. I just used used the Nito default which in my case was '/mnt/Scratch/Volumes/Thumbnails$'. Should it be pointing somewhere else?

I was hopping to use this ATV1 as remote Music Library appliance but the shared thumbs are giving me quite a bit of grief. I've used share thumbs using on linux and windows systems with no issues.
I'm launching it from the ATV menu

In nitotv remember to check the automount option otherwise your folder will not be mounted after reboot.

In my case the folder is mounted in /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/Multimedia, of course I've created (mkdir) the "Multimedia" folder first. You can check it just restarting finder in atv menu and then go in nitotv->files->your_mount_point

my symlink looks like:

ln -s /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/Multimedia/XBMC/Thumbnails /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails

Hope it helps
^tWiSt^ Wrote:I'm launching it from the ATV menu

Thanks, that answered my question.

NitoTV mounts the volume correctly if I exit XBMC. Unfortunately, I'm trying to launch XBMC directly without the ATV menu. In that scenario, the link is never created before XBMC starts. I'm going to have to find another way to do this.

I keep reading about Rsync, but I can't find any compiled versions for the ATV. Can the ATV compile source code?
Guys it's not working for ATV2, right?
AngryFarmer Wrote:Guys it's not working for ATV2, right?

You want <pathsubstitution>

Read http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91485 Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV shared Thumbnails0