Need Help with TV, XBMC, Dish
Hi I just built a new HTPC with some advice from eskro (well a lot actually lol)

I'm wanting to record stuff of my Dish Network box. Its a Dual Tuner box the 722 model one.

What I'm trying to do is set the Dish Box to auto-tune to the channel i want to record off of and set the auto-tune channel so that it changes the channel on the TV2 output (which I'll connect to the HTPC).

I'm not too worried about setting the schedule to tell the HTPC to record from the feed at specified times.

My MAJOR concern is that i'm using Ubuntu 10.04, so i'm looking for a card that works on linux out-of-the-box or with not so much tinkering. And what type of card and i looking for? A Digital tuner or Analog tuner? Or is it even a tuner card that I need, since the channel changing will be done by the dish box anyway
No one to help me?

Oh btw i figured i would add this too...the reason i'm wanting to connect the sat box to the pc is because even with a usb hard drive added to the Dish's DVR box, the box is still useless. Anything you record on the usb drive can only be used on that same Dish Box. Completely USELESS to use DISH DVR.
Well...

You can't tune satellite stuff on your computer directly, so a tuner card is out of the question. It's also likely you can't use the TV out from the directv box to plug into your computer due to HDCP protection (assuming you want to use HDMI?) If you're lucky enough to have component out from your DVR and component in on your PC you can probably record that way... you can also probably record in SD via S-Video or composite.

As far as controlling your DVR with the computer you probably need an IR transmitter and some control software. You might check the mythtv forums to see if anyone has anything specific. SOME of the DVRs have network control built in, but you'd have to look at your specific model for information on using that.

What you're trying to do isn't common... it's unlikely you'll find a nice out of the box experience for it.
Not exactly sure what you are trying to do but if you are looking to record from Dish onto your HTPC, the Hauppauge HD-PVR will work. Unfortunately i have no idea whether it works under Linux.
Looks like i could explain myself, so i made a little diagram to help anyone that thinks that they can help me.

My main concern is that it needs to work under Ubuntu 10.04. Notice how the HTPC is getting a feed from a coaxial cable, yet if i connect that same cable up to another HDTV I can see the HD Channels (i cant really tell if they are HD or not though) despite it not being a HDMI cable. So I don't know if i need a Digital or Analog card either.
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Satellite
[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]SAT BOX
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT](Set to change channel on TV2 Output whenever a scheduled show is about to start)
[INDENT]TV1 .............................. TV2
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]HDMI ........................ COAXIAL CABLE

HDTV............................... HTPC[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Needs to be able to record off of feed, schedule to record at same times SAT BOX changes the channel
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
I use this:

http://nextcomwireless.com/store/index.p...cts_id=182

To record from Dish Network.

Works beautifully, and records the original TS transport stream, no transcoding or re-encoding. If you use Myth, it changes channels for you, etc.

Doesn't work with "k" suffix receivers, but works with the ViP 211 and ViP 722.

(so make sure you don't have the 722k).

At $400, it sure ain't cheap. But nothing else lets you record the unmolested digital stream and archive it as you please.

It can be made to work with Myth up to 0.24 on Linux with Alan Nisota's patch here:
http://code.google.com/p/r5000-for-linux/

But that's beyond my capability.

-Wes
Thats a little out of my price range...i built my whole build for less than that LOL

Cant i just plug a regular card into the HTPC and connect the coaxial cable to it? I mean the stream will already be decoded and everything by the Sat box wont it?...I mean wouldn't that just replicate me plugging the cable into another tv? or does the tv have to decode something from the feed thats coming from the sat box too?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Help with TV, XBMC, Dish0