opinions on ubuntu install with no knowledge of linux
Hi guys,

after some honest opinions here pls,

i have no knowledge of linux, i've bought a new barebone system (asrock vision 3d) tried installing live on it, had nothing but problems, nobody has been able to come up with a solution yet,

there s appears to be an error with the nvida driver but at present i have no way of updating it as all i get is a black screen with some writting about ubuntu error nvidia

with no linux experience would you try to install ubuntu desktop on the system and see if i can get that working then go from there or shall i bite the bullit and purchase windows 7? i previously install xbmc on my win 7 laptop to try it out and it's everything ive ever wanted for my front room system

thanks in advance for any input
I think standard ubuntu will work. Give that a try first. You can try both 10.04 (same as Live) and the newer 10.10.

Have you looked in the forum for someone else with the same box? If you can find someone that can get it working he coild make you a clonezilla recovery cd that will duplicate his system.
thank you vikjon0 i have it on cd already to go just wanted to wait in case it was a bad move, i'll try it now and see how i go, this is really starting to get to me

good idea about seeing if anyone else has the rock too
I see there is a linux driver available...

You have installed live but it does not start? I think the quickest solution is to actually learn to install it manually.....

http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...index.html
Something like this should work. (you might have to install some more stuff but the readme does say so....)

Login into the command prompt and:
Quote:mkdir Downloads
cd Downloads

sudo apt-get install wget

wget http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li....19.36.run

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.36.run
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux-dis...er-uk.html

I am not sure but you may want to to this first

Quote:sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

The first part will install some headers that may be needed. If he complains about source this will help.
The seconds line will un-install the old driver (hopefully)
BTW, there is normally an easier way. If the standard ubuntu driver does not work there is a number of 3rd party repositories that will work most of the time. I don't know if any of them will work for you though and the safest bet is to download directly from nvidia.
ubuntu desktop didn't work,

error: kernal missing, install the kernal first

'help' for a list of commands

i typed help and list of commands came up none of which made any sense to me

thanks for your time and other posts,

i'll have a read now on the links to see if i can find out how to enter command prompt and install the driver
Ok, but I see in the other thread that you sometimes gets to login and sometimes not.
This is not normal unless you have a HW problem. You should of course have the same result everytime you install....until that happen I dont know what to tell you.
yes it's hit and miss, sometimes it goes to login sometimes not, normally i can enter my login name xbmc but lately nothing shows on the screen for password

i've just started reading about the installing the nvidia driver in linux, tbh it may as well have been writted in chinese it didnt get none of it,

thanks for your time but im way out of my league here

i'll see if anyone on the forum has a vision 3d working otherwise ill have to take it to a shop and pay someone to sort out whatevers wrong, bit of a pain with a brand new unit but i dont see any other option

thanks again for trying much appreciated
personaly id go with debian linux i have never liked ubuntu. theres also sabayon linux which is really nice but not as stable as debian.
One thing you could maybe try doing is getting it to boot up to the login screen and see if it will maybe let you SSH in from another computer ... Don't know if it would work, as long as you have a router and know what the last IP from your router's pool was used you should be able to take a stab at what IP your HTPC would be pulling....

Just a thought, I have no idea if it would work or not, I just know that with my XBMC live install I'm able to SSH long before it's finished booting up....
XBMCbuntu {Frodo} - Ubuntu 12.04 (Main):
Intel Q6600 [2.4GHz Quad Core], 4GB DDR3, nVidia GT-210, Antec Fusion Case (iMon LCD), PS3 BD Remote

XBMC Live {Frodo} - Ubuntu 10.04 (Bedroom): Intel Atom D510 [1.66GHz Dual Core], ION Graphics, 2GB DDR2, PS3 BD Remote
Quote:personaly id go with debian linux i have never liked ubuntu. theres also sabayon linux which is really nice but not as stable as debian.

Yes, but did you dislike Ubuntu specifically because it did not install on your computer that was too new for the installer? I am only asking because if the reason is that you insist to have a firefox free repository it isn't really relevant in this context. How do you expect him to install xbmc on debian when I can not deal with installing nvidia?

With that said, I have seen debian working where Ubuntu did not and I am convinced it is more stable. (except that you cant visit your bank because FOSS outlawed firefox). However, since this is new HW I would except ubuntu to pick it up before debian.

What needs to be done:
1) If it sometimes boot to login sometimes not, I assume there must be a HW problem.
2) If it sometimes installs correctly (except only login no xbmc) I have to assume you are doing something wrong when it doesnt. Either way just throw away the CD next time it works. This is what you want, stop re-installing.
3) login and install nvidia.

If you dont want to install nvidia manually you can try Ubuntu 10.10 if that doesnt work either I guess win7 is your next stop.
i mentioned debian becuase i purchased a computer for my little bro and ubuntu failed to worked it was the nvida drivers for my the two cards nvidian geforce 9500 gt ubuntu kept saying i had an error and the screen turned black and when i id manage to get the graphics to work the sound failed to work. after a week of dealing with issues from ubuntu i went with debian and magically everything worked. mayb i burned the ubuntu cd badly idk it could have eben a million things but debian worked which is why i suggested it.

i was unaware of this "except that you cant visit your bank because FOSS outlawed firefox" and "firefox free repository"

but isnt there a generic video driver that will work for the majority of cards ifthe nvidia driver failes to work properly even tho you may not get the full specs of the card it would work to stop getiing the error msg
what do you guys think about me trying the nuvoton version of xbmc

XBMCFreak Nuvoton 10.00 v2

from where im at at the moment i dont suppose i can do any worse really can i?

let me know what you think and maybe i'll try this tomorrow

on a nother note if i were to get win7 do you think i'd be able to install it as is or will i still need to get this rock to a shop to sort out the nvidia problem?
XBMCFreak Nuvoton 10.00 v2 has worked !

well, theres no audio yet, but xbmc is on my tv and it's the furthest i've got so far,

game on !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
opinions on ubuntu install with no knowledge of linux0