Skin-specific boot splashes
I am looking at developing a library of bootsplashes customized to be skin specific. In order to make them as individualized as possible it would be great to use some original artwork. If you are developing a skin and have a logo, specific font, or graphical layout that helps define your skin I would like to use it in designing a customized boot splash. If you are interested please post a link or contact info so we can share thoughts.
You can see the beginnings of this project at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93408
I have mine for simplicity. Smile
To learn more, click here.
OS Boot Splashes? Still no way to customize the XBMC splash, correct?
blacklist Wrote:OS Boot Splashes? Still no way to customize the XBMC splash, correct?

of course there is a way to change it all you have to do is change the splash.png in the main media dir (not the skins) but it was decided as a team that we are not going to make it easy (GUI) to change because its part of what identifies it as XBMC and not some media center called AEON or any other skin
Jezz_X Wrote:of course there is a way to change it all you have to do is change the splash.png in the main media dir (not the skins) but it was decided as a team that we are not going to make it easy (GUI) to change because its part of what identifies it as XBMC and not some media center called AEON or any other skin

Gotcha. Learned something new. Thanks Jezz.
Jezz_X Wrote:of course there is a way to change it all you have to do is change the splash.png in the main media dir (not the skins) but it was decided as a team that we are not going to make it easy (GUI) to change because its part of what identifies it as XBMC and not some media center called AEON or any other skin
I have to agree with the team that XBMC is an important identifying part of the bootsplash. If you look at the ones I have done so far, XBMC is prominent and the skin is name is secondary. I plan on keeping XBMC as part of any bootsplash I create (though of course the scripts are open and can be changed by anyone). That being said, the skin that is used is a big part of the experience, which is why I felt that it deserves more than a black void at boot-time Wink .
As a note, the Plymouth bootloader that I am working with runs much earlier in the boot process than XBMC (which is one of the last things to load), and is therefore seen long before the official XBMC splash. This *nearly* immediate image defines the box as a media center upfront, rather than being foremost computer, and later a media center once the system has finished booting.
Also, these boot splashes are only useful for systems based on Linux that uses the Plymouth bootloader, most notably Ubuntu 10.04+.
Sorry about the long winded reply, but I thought it would be best to clear the air, and let anyone interested know where I would like to head with this project.
Thanks for an already enthusiastic response! Big Grin
igotdvds Wrote:I have mine for simplicity. Smile

Great. I'll get working on some ideas. If you have a version without the dropshadow it would be much easier for me to work with, and add to the simplicity Big Grin. If you have any specific ideas you'd like incorporated, let me know

Note to all: the simpler the graphic the better (more specifically, well defined edges are the important part), as I can add all sorts of cool lighting/shadow/brushed steel etc. effects afterwards. Thanks.

is that the same team who decided to replace the ubuntu bootsplash with their own in xbmc-live ? ;-p
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:is that the same team who decided to replace the ubuntu bootsplash with their own in xbmc-live ? ;-p

LOL one in every room isn't there Smile

besides I never said it couldn't be done I just said we try not to make it easy much the same as usplash and plymouth on ubuntu are very hard for the average user

so :p at your theory Smile
igotdvds Wrote:I have mine for simplicity. Smile
Here's a screenshot of the splash I made with your logo:
I had to reconstruct it with a bit of squashed monospace Wink, so it might be slightly off, but it's close.
If you want to see it in action you can download it, or check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPPCFANF73s

What is the correct resolution (so that it will be displayed 1:1 and not scaled) for the splash image? The default splash is 721×401 but my image looks blurry with that resolution.
In trunk: Any image will be centered and unscaled assuming a resolution of 1280x720 for the screen.

In Dharma: The image is displayed in exactly 1/4 of the screen (so 720x360 if you're assuming a 720p screen).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks. Smile

Edit: Actually it's 640x360 for 720p, 960x540 for 1080p.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin-specific boot splashes0