Do you guys actually use Library mode?
panaman Wrote:I wouldn't say that in file mode that XBMC is just another media player.... It still has cover art. Moving information and trailers in file mode. :-) To me I think its harder for me to find stuff in Library Mode. Also it seems that Library mode for some reason does show all the files.... Seems like some movies just don't play for me in library mode... especially unknown movies and home videos.... how are you guys organizing your home videos? I have a ton of offroad motorcycle helment cam videos and videos of my kids..... file view just seems the only logical way to see them.. when i switch to Library Mode they don't even show up.

Movies are Movies - Dies Hard, Dark Knight, Inception, etc...

When I want "Home Vids/Misc" then I use File mode, or some skins I have a playlist(s) on Home or submenu of Movies....

I keep "Home Vids/Misc" in a separate folder from regular Movie/TV content...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
GhostDog Wrote:I use library mode almost exclusively. I love getting the movie, and TV fanart, plus all the movie, and episode details.
All this is available in file view

mcborzu Wrote:Movies are Movies - Dies Hard, Dark Knight, Inception, etc...

When I want "Home Vids/Misc" then I use File mode, or some skins I have a playlist(s) on Home or submenu of Movies....

I keep all mine in seperated folder structures too...
Movies
Home-Movies
Kid-Movies
Riding-Videos
TV
Kid-TV

Maybe I just need to play with it a little more..... (not at home right now).. I could have sworn that when I set the system to library mode, Unhide the Movies and TV menu links.... the Video menu link was also changed to library mode which basically made the home videos and my riding videos disapeared....This confused the hell out of my wife.... I am just trying to keep things simple.... Like "Borat" said.. its a proven fact that women have a smaller brain than men :-)
It takes FOREVER for xmbc on my ATV2 to scrape info for my folders.

Is there a way for me to disable the auto scrapping, and use a scrappping tool (thats xbmc compatible) manually on my computer and then just have my ATV2 xbmc simply read the .jpg and .nfo files right from the show/movie folder for each item?
Library mode is better, better views, more information and in general just looks better. And on your main menu you can just select your tv shows and movies directly. Allot cleaner too.

But you use what you prefer to use, both options are available. Not really a boxee fan, apart from a better plugin system, it doesn't hold a candle to xbmc.

Would be nice to have another video section for things like stand up comedy dvds, consents and other misc things on retail discs that are not movies. Maybe a feature suggestion is in order...
I use the file mode the most, but the library mode is great for finding every movie in my system. I have over 450 (and growing) HD movie files on my network server. Obviously they are not all in a single source, in fact spread over 7 hard drives and a LaCie NAS. So file mode makes it difficult to hunt for a specific title. I have a separate database of all of my movies to know where a given title is located. But when I get XBMC completely set up and the library scanned completely, it will serve the same purpose.

Now at this time for some reason the thumbnails and fanart is not showing up for me in the library mode. I think there is some operation I need to do to get the library to finish. XBMC is still a work in progress for me.
I was messing around in library mode last night.. for some reason i had some duplicates of my movies. Basically there were two exact DVD cover art right next to each other .. i could choose either one and it played the movie.....
Also... Some of my TV shows didn't have any episodes in them even though their were episdoes
mcborzu Wrote:Movies are Movies - Dies Hard, Dark Knight, Inception, etc...

Exactly how I do it.
I use confluence which lets me have a 'Videos' button and a 'Movies' button on my home screen.

If you click 'movies' you are in library mode with all my movies thumbnails to scroll through.
If you click 'videos' you have file mode and all my assorted vids are there.

Really works well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do you guys actually use Library mode?0