• 11(current)
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
T800 Wrote:Lack of knowledge. I just copied the build I linked to (two weeks ago) because I wanted to get on and start building a HTPC.

Would it make a noticeable difference on XBMC?
Mostly it's worlds more efficient. 73watts vs. 35watts of the Sandy bridge i3. I believe the top speeds are about the same with more power savings on the Sandy Bridge CPU. I've been a little out of the CPU world lately though.

What are you going to use the XBMC box for? You might not even need the power of an i3.
i wouldnt take it back,,,
your fine T800
All sorts really, streaming 720p to full Blu-ray .ts rips with HD audio.
Maybe some ripping and possible re-encoding at times.

I went with the i3 build because I wanted to make sure it was easily powerful enough.
eskro Wrote:i wouldnt take it back,,,
your fine T800

Does the SSD need additional brackets for fitting?
eskro Wrote:i wouldnt take it back,,,
your fine T800
+1. If you already have it I wouldn't go through the hassle of returning stuff.
T800 Wrote:Does the SSD need additional brackets for fitting?

well my SSD came with a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter
but many just use double sided velcro Tongue
stick it where you want Tongue
eskro Wrote:well my SSD came with a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter
but many just use double sided tape Tongue
stick it where you want Tongue
I'd use velcro before I used double sided tape, that way i'ts removable and not permanent.
yes velcro thats what i had in mind,,, sorry Tongue

*** fixed
Well, I returned my ipad 2 to Apple today after having it for almost 2 weeks and did not use it once! I found myself using my iphone or original ipad still anyways. So, I plan to use the money I got back for returning my ipad 2 for a HTPC build($533) This will be my first HTPC build. Part of me says just to buy another Apple TV and install XBMC but I don't want those limitations. I do nothing more then stream video from my NAS and use the icefilms plug in 99% of the time. I know the processor will not have to be the best on the market, but my wife will from time to time probably play WOW on it as well. I was curious to get some opinions on these 2 processors. I like the fact that AMD seems to give you a great processor for the price but I prefer Intels reliability as I am more familiar with their products I guess. I've narrowed it down to the new Intel i3 sandy bridge or the AMD Phenom II X4 955. The motherboards I have looked at have built in graphics, either ATI 4250 or Intels integrated. At the moment I am not really sure that I will use a video card. Opinions??

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...u=A79-1955

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...7&csid=_21
this will play WOW, 1080P files and HD web content flawlessly.

[cpu] Intel Celeron E3400 Dual-Core 2.6GHz LGA-775 65W ($50 + $0)
[mobo] Intel BOXDG41WV LGA-775 Micro-ATX ($55 + $5)
[gpu] ZOTAC GeForce GT210 512MB DDR2 64-bit Low Profile ($31 + $0)
[case+psu] Antec MicroFusion 350W 80+ Certified Micro-ATX ($100 + $0)
TOTAL: ($241)

RAM and Hard Drives are left-out purposely
so you can choose them yourself according to your needs!
eskro Wrote:this will play WOW, 1080P files and HD web content flawlessly.

RAM and Hard Drives are left-out purposely
so you can choose them yourself according to your needs!

[cpu] Intel Celeron E3400 Dual-Core 2.6GHz LGA-775 65W ($50 + $0)
[mobo] Intel BOXDG41WV LGA-775 Micro-ATX ($55 + $5)
[gpu] ZOTAC GeForce GT210 512MB DDR2 64-bit Low Profile ($31 + $0)
[case+psu] Antec MicroFusion 350W 80+ Certified Micro-ATX ($100 + $0)
TOTAL: ($241)

Thanks for the info. I guess thats where I'm having the most difficult time. I know that realistically I don't need the Intel i3 sandy bridge, but then I tell myself "its only $79 more dollars and the motherboard for it is only $49 more" The whole world of HTPC is new to me. My only experience is with my Apple TV and using my mac mini as a media server. So, I guess Im just not 100% sure as to where I'd get the most performance gain in a HTPC. In regards to the processor with what I'm trying to do, would there be a noticeable difference between the i3 and the celeron??
i suggest the i3 to hardcore gamers....
you dont need such power in an HTPC...
you wont even use the i3's full potential if you only play 1080P movies,,,
i3 is really for gamers....
eskro Wrote:i suggest the i3 to hardcore gamers....
you dont need such power in an HTPC...
you wont even use the i3's full potential if you only play 1080P movies,,,
i3 is really for gamers....
He's used to spending buku bucks on Apple hardware, so he can't fathom something being good AND inexpensive at the same time Wink
Superorb Wrote:He's used to spending buku bucks on Apple hardware, so he can't fathom something being good AND inexpensive at the same time Wink

As much as I hate to admit it, you are probably 99% right! I agree with you 100% as to them being way overpriced for what you get, but the support has been second to none! I guess for the cost, they've got to give you something!
I'm now thinking about getting the Silverstone Grandia GD05 for the i3 build with a GT 430.
My reason are I don't need the LCD screen, I use a Harmony so the remote isn't needed and in the UK the Antec is nearly twice the price.

I will be fitting a 4GB ram, 30-60GB SSD and a 5.25 Blu-ray drive.

What sort of power supply will I need?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?36