• 58(current)
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
Hi all, a quick thanks to Beer40oz and eskro for all there input.
I'm a PC noob when it comes to technical side of PCs so please forgive my noobness.
I'm putting a rough list together of PC components that will make up my HTPC.

My question is would there be any reason to get a MOBO with USB3.0 ports vs a cheaper MOBO with only USB2.0?
Eg: H61M-DS2 vs H67MA-USB3.

Thanks.
(2012-06-07, 12:11)Goiki7 Wrote: Hi all, a quick thanks to Beer40oz and eskro for all there input.
I'm a PC noob when it comes to technical side of PCs so please forgive my noobness.

My question is would there be any reason to get a MOBO with USB3.0 ports vs a cheaper MOBO with only USB2.0?

Thanks.

If you're going to use any external hard drives which have USB 3.0 then yes! USB 3.0 is much faster than USB 2 and will transfer your files and data much faster. If that isn't a concern, then no real reason except to make sure you have that feature should you ever want to use it in the future. Keep in mind, many of the external USB hard drives on the market currently are only USB 2, you are unlikely to already have a USB 3 hard drive so you would need to also buy a new external drive to even take advantage of the speed.

I don't have a single USB 3 device myself but, my HTPC and desktop PC's both have USB 3 ports in case I ever do end up with one.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-06-07, 13:25)Mick1152 Wrote: If you're going to use any external hard drives which have USB 3.0 then yes! USB 3.0 is much faster than USB 2 and will transfer your files and data much faster. If that isn't a concern, then no real reason except to make sure you have that feature should you ever want to use it in the future. Keep in mind, many of the external USB hard drives on the market currently are only USB 2, you are unlikely to already have a USB 3 hard drive so you would need to also buy a new external drive to even take advantage of the speed.

I don't have a single USB 3 device myself but, my HTPC and desktop PC's both have USB 3 ports in case I ever do end up with one.

Well in my case i do have 3 HDDs with usb3.0 (http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-simplesave-de...90620.html x2 + http://us.toshiba.com/computers/storage/...TB110XK3BA x1)

However if I get a Silverstone ML03B or GD06B with 2x USB 3.0 will they give me usb 3.0 speeds on the H61M-DS2 MOBOHuh
(2012-06-07, 13:39)Goiki7 Wrote: Well in my case i do have 3 HDDs with usb3.0 (http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-simplesave-de...90620.html x2 + http://us.toshiba.com/computers/storage/...TB110XK3BA x1)

However if I get a Silverstone ML03B or GD06B with 2x USB 3.0 will they give me usb 3.0 speeds on the H61M-DS2 MOBOHuh
If you have USB 3.0 drives, you'll benefit from USB 3.0 motherboard. It's up to 10x faster than USB 2.0....

Regardless of the case, to have USB 3.0 capability you have to have motherboard with USB 3.0 option......the H61M-DS2 mobo you selected don't have USB 3.0......here are your options- Micro-ATX mobo with USB 3.0!

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-06-07, 16:35)bluray Wrote: If you have USB 3.0 drives, you'll benefit from USB 3.0 motherboard. It's up to 10x faster than USB 2.0....

Regardless of the case, to have USB 3.0 capability you have to have motherboard with USB 3.0 option......the H61M-DS2 mobo you selected don't have USB 3.0......here are your options- Micro-ATX mobo with USB 3.0!

Thanks a bunch that helps a lot.
Once you have a mobo picked out with USB 3, both of those cases have front USB 3 ports so they will give you USB 3 speeds with a USB 3 motherboard.

Some cases may only have USB 2 front ports, which will only give you USB 2 speeds for those ports regardless of if the motherboard supports USB 3. Nothing to worry about with those cases though.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Thanks that's what I though. I like the look of the GD06B so much but it costs almost double. Sad
deleted
Can this case be used to turn on the pc from s5 state with the included remote?

Antec Fusion Remote Black
(2012-06-07, 12:11)Goiki7 Wrote: Hi all, a quick thanks to Beer40oz and eskro for all there input.

Thanks.

Bear in mind that the H61 mobo may also miss out on SATAIII and AHCI support.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Is it possible to put a backing plate for a cooler on mini itx H77 mobos like Asus P8H77-I or Asrock H77M-ITX? I'm thinking about using either Big Shuriken 2 or Noctuа NH-L12. Noctua unlike Scythe has weird Intel style bolts to mount cooler without any backplate. I don't trust this mounting system so I'd like to use the normal one.

The bigger problem is that both of those coolers cover up a pcie slot. I need it for a low profile sata card (2 port for Asus or 4 port for Asrock). It doesn't look like any 4 port card would fit, does it. 2 port card may be lower, but that leaves Asus as the only option and that means no wake on USB/IR.

Are there any quiet CPU coolers which fit Lian Li PC-Q08 (110mm of clearance) without completely blocking pcie?

EDIT:
Prolimatech Samuel 17 is asymmetric enough not to block pcie or even tall ram depending on orientation.

Intel DH77DF also has CIR header and supports wake on IR. What is more important it also has CEC header so there's no need for external adapters. It looks like it's very picky with ram though. I haven't even heard of the most of the brands from supported ram list.
(2012-06-29, 14:06)DavidT99 Wrote:

Thanks.

Bear in mind that the H61 mobo may also miss out on SATAIII and AHCI support.

David

FWIW, both the ASUS P8H61-I and Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 have AHCI support.

Message deleted, I posted it in the wrong thread Blush
Celeron CPU (G530, etc) can bitstream HD Audio. Please correct this in the first post.
Those CPU marks in post #1 need updating.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?36